Moving around a lot? Try Swissbit

Arnie

A good friend gave me this little blighter for Christmas, as it's a lovely bit of kit. 1Gb of portable storage which is enough to keep essential files and possibly a boot disc on ifi you want. You can also password the contents and leave owner information on the disc if you loose it.

sb_sm_usb_vic_blue_flyover_open.jpg

See a review here: http://static.the-gadgeteer.com/swissbit-s...ife-review.html

Hmmm....

Much as I like the idea of this gizmo, I'd warn against buying a fancy memory stick.

I've had 3 memory sticks (along with several flash cards of various types) in the last 5 years (early adopter) and they've ALL died when I've plugged them into a computer with a poorly earthed USB port or one which had a badly regulated power supply.

As a result, I'd now only ever bother buying the cheapest memory stick in the shop.

By the very nature of memory sticks, you're plugging them into computers that you can't check first. If you're using this to copy data from desktop to laptop then go for it but, if you're using it to distribute files for work then think very carfeully before buying a fancy gizmo such as this.

I've never managed to fry a flash drive but you have a point there.

I imagine it would be tricky or nigh impossible to replace the electronics in that Swissbit (cool as it is) should something go south.

My usual method is to grab whatever has a nice form factor and is on sale/rebate this week, so I wind up with the absolute cheapest for the capacity I want. That's the only reason I wound up with that PQI drive - I bought the thing on clearance at a Kmart for 20 bucks, I think.

Archived