Gearbox Troubles

vince

Hi guys, I've got a problem with two of the guns I have here and they both seem to be very similar problems despite being different in make up (gears, motors, etc) - heres the general run-down of what seems to be happening:

I had both guns (an ICS MP5 and a Toky Mauri M4) apart (gearboxes and all), cleaned, regreased and re-assembled in what I assume was the same as how they came apart (including screw locations, not that it should matter a great deal). After putting both guns back togeather they both suffered from a similar problem, where the gears cycle so far as to pull the piston head partially or all the way back, poised for release. At this point the motor refuses to turn any farther, and the piston head is stuck on (i guess) the last gear notch. An audible click can be heard as the motor tries to push the gears around (i think you can also hear the anti-reversal latch hitting back against the gear when the trigger is released).

Taking the gearboxes apart another two times yeilded my MP5 to begin firing intermittently with the motor at a specific angle (or thats what seemed to cure it), whereas the M4 still refuses to fire at all.

There are no visible blockages, debris or breakages inside the gearbox. The gears cycle without the piston inside, and the piston cycles and released with no spring attached to put any force behind it, and meshes with the gears appropriately. I have 4 batteries (8.4v) fully charge and I've tried them all - I blew the M4s fuse once in the process - i've also tried a second motor.

The only reason I can think of for any of this is;

1) the spring is too strong for the gear and motor combination (which are all stock parts in the MP5 and are all rated to work togeather in the M4, with a stock spring?)

2) the shims, bushings or other miscellaneous parts i know little about are aligned or set incorrectly causing excess friction or misalignment of gears.

Can anyone suggest solutions to this problem? I've had another stock M4 apart and reassembled several times with no issues, so I can't fathom whats wrong with this one.

Cheers in advance for any input you can give.

Since you have the same problem with both guns ill assume its not the mechbox. When your installign your motor, there should be a small plate the size of a penny. Its probably stuck to you motor as the motor has a magnetic pull. That plate is called the heat sink plate, grab that, put it in the pistol grip bottom of your gun and there should be an allen screw on the bottom of the pistol grip (the piece that you screw in to hold the motor in) Unscrew the allen screw, put the plate in and then screw the pistol bottom into the grip. once the grip is in, tighten the allen key a little over half way. try firing the gun. if that doenst work, tighten the screw a bit more and try again. Im just tryint to give you a quick solution so you dont have to re open the mechbox, if this doenst work. then you know your problem is within the box.

Give er a try.

Unfortunately I've tried that one already, the plate is in place and i've tried altering the depth of the motor, but haven't had any success with it.

Any other ideas? I actually have the gearbox open on my table, so no worries about that - I'm kind of expecting the problem to be internal to the gearbox, as it must be something i'm doing wrong when i reassemble it. =/

Well I tried all my 8v batties - I thought that was the problem origionally but aftery trying 4 of them in the gun I'm pretty adament its not the batterys. Either way I'm charging a new 9.6v battery, but thats going to take some time to do.

Any other ideas?

Well I tried all my 8v batties - I thought that was the problem origionally but aftery trying 4 of them in the gun I'm pretty adament its not the batterys. Either way I'm charging a new 9.6v battery, but thats going to take some time to do.

Any other ideas?

Do you have the gears timed properly when you put the mechbox back together? Could be a reason the gears freeze up?

What kind of a spring do you have in each of the gearboxes?

It could be as simple as the 8.4 volt battery not being powerful enough to fully cycle the gears and retract the piston.

Let us know how the 9.6 volt battery works out.

Hi guys just an update for anyone whos curious:

After much long charging I gave the 9.6 battery a try in the M4, reassembled with the stock spring and new gears (its an upgrade for a friend, so meh) - after following Hissing Sids Quick Shim Guide I put the mess back togeather and gave it a go on the battery.

Fires perfectly.

I'm going to go away and discharge/rechare the 8.4s and give those again to see if they're completely duff or what - but thanks for all your input everyone, it was actually quite helpful even though it was a relatively simply problem. I have no idea why the batteries i tried before failed to work, as they were fully charged..

Thanks again though, and I hope not to have to return for help in the near future :P

Archived