dboys RK01S steel parts

snorkelman

trying to get a handle of the quality of the steel parts on these as Im considering buying one to rob for spares

far as Im aware all of the following are steel on the RK01S version

front sight assembly

barrel trunnion

top cover hinge/rear sight unit

rear trunnion

stock and magazine latches

whereas the barrel will still be alloy

not sure on

the selector stop sandwiched between trigger guard and lower receiver,

lower handguard retaining ring and

handguard retaining ring latch?

If anyone can clarify wether those are steel too would be apreciated

What Im really Im wondering though is just what sort of quality is involved - not much point in snagging one to use those parts if the only thing they've got over the alloy counterparts in a stock RK01 is ability to stick magnets onto them :)

any feedback from folks who've been around the AK block a bit and had a chance to take a good look at one of these appreciated, "I have one and its awesome" not really the info Im looking for :) More a breakdown as to which parts are investment cast which parts (if any) are milled and wether the rear sight unit is cast or folded

EVERYTHING minus the barel is steel. It's actually a very nice gun, with a 7mm bearing gearbox which is actually quite nice. It's also got a better-than-average motor, but the hopup is still mediocre. Quality is on par, if not better than, the CA SLR series. Rear sight is cast. I don't recall too many parts being machined, if I had to guess I would say none are, minus perhaps the barrel.

Cheers plastic Seen/heard any reports of fragility in the steel parts (eg broken mount pins for the front sight unit or issues with rear trunnion etc)?

Really just those parts that werent steel on the original RK01 that Im looking to grab from it The gearbox receiver etc will end up in the spares bucket, hence reason i figured better to stick a thread up to check first - be a bit of a bummer to have bought it and found the only parts I needed from it werent up to snuff lol

Not that I know off. To be fair, I never tried swinging it into a tree. I think that the only part which really struck me as weak was the stock mechanism, simply because it's a fragile cast part and I'm not 100% sold on DBoy's steel casting abilities. That said, since the replacements are readily available the hassle is minimal.

tbh if I can dig up a real AKSU rear trunnion and stock for something less than current silly money prices I'll probably dump them onto it at some stage (is a set of GHK parts redone in steel going into a 'fold yer own' real length receiver etc so using proper rear trunnion is an option)

Archived