VFC Scar feeding problems

Salty6924

I Bought at the begining of this year a VFC Scar after much debate. I orginally thought i had purchased the perfect AEG. Modular, Easy to clean, reliable (as VFC always is) Accurate, And Intimidating. And it used STANAG style magazines, which i already had a ton of so i was quite exited.

I went through quite a few games with it and it worked flawlessly, But i decided to order a few of the 30rd PMAGs. Upon receiving the magazines i went to load one into the Magwell, and it wouldnt snap in. I figured it must just need wearing in. And i gave it the ol m4 Slap and in it went. Upon pulling the trigger however, i realized i needed to wiggle the mags to get the SCAR to feed. I thought it was the magazine, so i inspected it and nothing seemed amis. Poor fit perhaps?

Just for the heck of it, i put in one of my 30rd l85 star mags that have always worked flawlessly, and it was still not firing. Upon inspection of the magwell, i found that the round feeding port had been bent and scarred! It was no longer engaging the magazine releases by not giving enough contact.

The PMAGs have an extremley strong realease on them it seems, And i did not think twice about the plastic Feeding port in the SCAR being a problem. My Fault.

Luckily the part is only $5USD on wgcshop, Unfortunatley, after shipping its $25USD and it requires gearbox removal to replace. which in turn requires an insanely small hex bit. I can fix it "Being the local airsmith" but its still a bit of a letdown.

All in all, quite an adventure, and i am now selling the scar. Not that its a bad AEG, its Amazing, but i need it to be ROCK SOLID.

This is more of a warning/Discussion to others so it doesnt happen to them. Anyone else have this problem, i didnt find any other posts on what seemed to be the entirety of the internet about this topic.

Shorthand:

VFC Scar L Black

+

30rd "Star"? PMAG

+

stock non-upgradable feeding nozzle (Aka the bottom part of the two peice hopup chamber)

=

Broken.

Hope this saves an AEG.

I Bought at the begining of this year a VFC Scar after much debate. I orginally thought i had purchased the perfect AEG. Modular, Easy to clean, reliable (as VFC always is) Accurate, And Intimidating. And it used STANAG style magazines, which i already had a ton of so i was quite exited.

I went through quite a few games with it and it worked flawlessly, But i decided to order a few of the 30rd PMAGs. Upon receiving the magazines i went to load one into the Magwell, and it wouldnt snap in. I figured it must just need wearing in. And i gave it the ol m4 Slap and in it went. Upon pulling the trigger however, i realized i needed to wiggle the mags to get the SCAR to feed. I thought it was the magazine, so i inspected it and nothing seemed amis. Poor fit perhaps?

Just for the heck of it, i put in one of my 30rd l85 star mags that have always worked flawlessly, and it was still not firing. Upon inspection of the magwell, i found that the round feeding port had been bent and scarred! It was no longer engaging the magazine releases by not giving enough contact.

The PMAGs have an extremley strong realease on them it seems, And i did not think twice about the plastic Feeding port in the SCAR being a problem. My Fault.

Luckily the part is only $5USD on wgcshop, Unfortunatley, after shipping its $25USD and it requires gearbox removal to replace. which in turn requires an insanely small hex bit. I can fix it "Being the local airsmith" but its still a bit of a letdown.

All in all, quite an adventure, and i am now selling the scar. Not that its a bad AEG, its Amazing, but i need it to be ROCK SOLID.

This is more of a warning/Discussion to others so it doesnt happen to them. Anyone else have this problem, i didnt find any other posts on what seemed to be the entirety of the internet about this topic.

Shorthand:

VFC Scar L Black

+

30rd "Star"? PMAG

+

stock non-upgradable feeding nozzle (Aka the bottom part of the two peice hopup chamber)

=

Broken.

Hope this saves an AEG.

Star P-mags is known to have feeding issues.

Bit like King Arms mags.

Best to avoid those ' greenlabel ' mags.

A very good alternative is MAG's M16 mags

EDIT: sorry I didn't read the whole post before.

If you need to detach the fire selector switch assembly from the gearbox you'll need a 1.5 mm hex for the switch itself and for further disassembly you'd normally need a very hard to find 0.8 HEX. I use a 1mm ( I think ) screwdriver a fiddle a bit. the kind of screwdrivers a jeweller or watchmaker would use.

Yes, its the .8 mm Hex that i was talking about, you have to take the gearbox out to remove the "Front Point Set" which includes this lower hopup chamber half.

Its quite an inconvinience. Its sad the green lable mags dont work well, My team has a 30rd full auto limit for realisims sake which i helped institute, it would be nice if i could reliably get some realistic, affordable 30rd mags, instead of the light plasticky mags i am stuck with.

Really this post is more for others sakes, i was worried that this could happen to another person, and i didnt find any wind of it anywhere. As arnies is easily one of the more reptable airsoft sites, I figured people would have to get wind of it here.

Yes, its the .8 mm Hex that i was talking about, you have to take the gearbox out to remove the "Front Point Set" which includes this lower hopup chamber half.

Its quite an inconvinience. Its sad the green lable mags dont work well, My team has a 30rd full auto limit for realisims sake which i helped institute, it would be nice if i could reliably get some realistic, affordable 30rd mags, instead of the light plasticky mags i am stuck with.

Really this post is more for others sakes, i was worried that this could happen to another person, and i didnt find any wind of it anywhere. As arnies is easily one of the more reptable airsoft sites, I figured people would have to get wind of it here.

weird: owning a VFC scar myself I had to ise a 0.8mm hex to open up the gearbox but never to slide it out of the gun.

Taking of the selector gears ( the gears making the selectorswitch ambidextrous, whetever they're called ) is not required to pull the gearbox out of the body.

Or am I doing it wrong? :)

Anyway, it is quite a job to do, but couldn't you but metal low caps and but a pin it the sring so the BB-pusher wouldn't go down anymore, allowing it to carry only 30 or so BBs

It's what they do in the US for making 10round mags ( IIRC )

weird: owning a VFC scar myself I had to ise a 0.8mm hex to open up the gearbox but never to slide it out of the gun.

Taking of the selector gears ( the gears making the selectorswitch ambidextrous, whetever they're called ) is not required to pull the gearbox out of the body.

Or am I doing it wrong? :)

Anyway, it is quite a job to do, but couldn't you but metal low caps and but a pin it the sring so the BB-pusher wouldn't go down anymore, allowing it to carry only 30 or so BBs

It's what they do in the US for making 10round mags ( IIRC )

You are right, I work third shift, and my mind does not work right in the mornings here on the East cost USA. I should be able to get it out,"i think, as i only had to get into the thing once." As for the Metal Low caps, I am assuming you mean Get some Midcaps and convert them, Ive done that and they are not nearly as reliable as i need them unfortunatley, AK mags no problem, but M4 mags are just so fickle its hurts. I would pay 20 bucks a mag to get a 30 round Standard Dark Grey M4 Mag that was Ranger Plate compatible. thats 200USD for 10 mags, Be nice, but im dreaming i guess.

after the lack of response on this thread, i suppose not many people have had this problem.

Could be a PICNIC situation "Problem in Chair, Not in computer"....or AEG in this case.

Thanks for the positive feedback, and such.

For the perfect gun; no perfect gun has a V2 gearbox. :P

How true! i think you just made my day, I will surely be hoping the Bushmaster ACR has a v3 Gearbox if it ever comes to be.

The scar on the other hand has a "VFC Custom Gearbox", but as far as i can tell it still has the inherent weaknesses of a V2 gearbox. One thing about working on AKs is you can push even the cheap ones hard, the shells dont quit out. Not a fan of that Trigger Mech on the V3s though, But hey its a sacrifice.

As for CA 30rd Mags, Where, i have never seen these and would love to give them a try.

Tried to find them from a bunch of online stores, but none of them had any. If you are REALLY desperate, there are some in one of our biggest online stores:

http://www.pcb-airsoft.com/epages/PCB.axl/...mp;Locale=en_GB

USD-EUR conversion is a *badgeress* though, so it might get very expensive. On the positive side the store is pretty much as reliable and efficient as a store can get.

As for the mechbox, I find it funny how people dread the V3 trigger system. I rarely have it pop out (unlike the V2 trigger) and it's pretty easy to assemble. I have the fingers of a little Chinese girl though. :)

I agree about the lack of popping out, But for myself its more about the occasions when i need to swap out a cut-off lever or switch assembly, and it has to come out. Its eventually got to go back in, Not to difficult, but not to easy either.

Thanks for the link m8, ill be checking that out as a fact.

Archived