Good First AEG - Need Help! ^o^

George Whitlow

G&G combat machines could also work. The problem with them internally is that every almost single part has something wrong with it, but it's only slightly wrong. The end result is typical performance for its price range, but a lot more money if you want to upgrade completely. The piston head is terrible (and stuck to the piston, so you'll probably need that too), the spring guide has no bearings, the bushings are copper (bad), the motor is bad, the nozzle has no o-ring etc. While on other guns you may have similar issues except that there's nothing wrong with the piston, but the spring guide is plastic (which isn't any worse than a metal spring guide at UK FPS ratings, and neither has bearings anyway) or something, costing less to replace overall.   

Alternatively, just buy a railed handguard, although this may or may not put you should be able to find some sort of aluminum ACM one on ebay for around £20.

It might also be worth looking on Safarasoftair for a G&P M4. They are just over €200 for a standard M4, and from what I've heard, they are supposed to be quite good. If I had to buy a cheap AEG for skirmishing, I'd probably choose a G&P.

Okay, i'm a top bloke. No really, I am. As I sit here drinking a Blackcurrent Twinings fruit tea, i've decided to help you out.

Here are a couple of reviews to M4 style guns, done by our esteemed members (it may even pay to PM the member in question asking how its faired over time - a few of these reviews are a little old) remember that looks are the shell of the weapon, all you're really after is durability. Internals on a new gun these days are normally to a decent standard regardless of manufacturer. You shouldn't need to play with internals much to begin with, just get the rifle and play a little bit first - most technical issues can be put aside with superior field craft.

Ares M4
http://arniesairsoft.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/193482-ares-m4a1-review/

G+G GR16
http://arniesairsoft.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/198295-gg-gr4-cqbr-gr16-r4-commando-m4-video-review/

SRC M4
http://arniesairsoft.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/198760-src-m4-ris-and-crane-stock/

G+P M4

http://arniesairsoft.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/202676-gp-m4-ris/

Kings Arms M4A1
http://arniesairsoft.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/202718-king-arms-m4a1/

TM SOPMOD M4
http://arniesairsoft.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/158786-initial-impressions-of-the-tm-sopmod-m4-aeg/page-1

Okay, i'm a top bloke. No really, I am. As I sit here drinking a Blackcurrent Twinings fruit tea, i've decided to help you out.

Thank-you kind Sir! Sound advice ;) 

I'll have a read. Also thanks to Hopna for the link - I am little weary about spending a large amount of money on a non UK website as I don't have a 100% guarantee it will make it through customs and turn up at my door, but a very good price anyhow!

Thanks peeps :)

Thank-you kind Sir! Sound advice ;)

I'll have a read. Also thanks to Hopna for the link - I am little weary about spending a large amount of money on a non UK website as I don't have a 100% guarantee it will make it through customs and turn up at my door, but a very good price anyhow!

Thanks peeps :)

You're welcome :D.

Safarasoftair is located in San Marino, so you shouldn't have any problems with customs I think. I've ordered there before and my package arrived within a week without customs annoying me.

Good luck with your purchase anyway :).

I like the look of the G&P M4 EOD as it has the crane stock so I would imagine it is rear wired.

€237 incl shipping but they don't use £(GBP) on their site so I would have to pay PayPal fee's for conversion between currencies.

€237 = £194 est. so not too bad :)

Definitely gonna look at the ICS M4A1 first - I'll see if I can find a review for it in the forums :)

Would like some opinions on this gun

Looks fantastic and I have heard great things about the ASCU MOSFET. For what you get and the quality of the gun it seems a pretty good deal.

I like the fact it comes with an M90 spring for CQB :)

Any opinions anyone has on this gun would be greatly appreciated! For the price, I am considering getting this one :)

I've bought two G&G Top Tech M4s off classifieds (Zeroin and Airsofters) both for £170.

They've performed pretty well although one needs a bit of TLC after extensive, heavy use. Both came with several extra mags/slings etc.

I upgraded one with SHS Hi-Torque motor and ran it with an 11.1 LiPo. ROF improved a fair bit.

I've also ordered loads of stuff from TaiwanGun and Gunfire.pl - both in Poland. Really good service and generally really cheap. That Specna arms looks good but it's out of stock.

I'd go with your ICS M4 offer from your local site though. I bought a used ICS M4 Sportline (plastic body) for £75 and it's terrific. Much better ROF than the G&Gs out of the box. For £180 you couldn't go wrong.

I've bought two G&G Top Tech M4s off classifieds (Zeroin and Airsofters) both for £170.

They've performed pretty well although one needs a bit of TLC after extensive, heavy use. Both came with several extra mags/slings etc.

I upgraded one with SHS Hi-Torque motor and ran it with an 11.1 LiPo. ROF improved a fair bit.

I've also ordered loads of stuff from TaiwanGun and Gunfire.pl - both in Poland. Really good service and generally really cheap. That Specna arms looks good but it's out of stock.

I'd go with your ICS M4 offer from your local site though. I bought a used ICS M4 Sportline (plastic body) for £75 and it's terrific. Much better ROF than the G&Gs out of the box. For £180 you couldn't go wrong.

Cheers bud :) I'm definitely gonna have a look at the ICS first - It's full metal and has that convenient split level gearbox for upgrading and such.

The only thing that puts me off is the front wiring and the standard carbine handguard. I could probably buy some cheap rail system and a crane stock and rewire it.

I have since watched a lot of videos on upgrades and general tips and pointers and I feel like I have a greater knowledge of airsoft internals now.

If someone could explain Angle of Engagement that would be great as I have heard and seen stuff about AoE but haven't really got a clue what it is or what it does.

Cheers!

• 2 months later...

Just so you get more of an understanding of the internals and what upgraded parts can do, have a good sit down session with the next 2 video's. They are very informative and I myself benefited greatly from watching them..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_4JnUnVLpg

If you really do want to run 11vLiPo then you are going to be spending plenty of dosh :-/

If you really do want to run 11vLiPo then you are going to be spending plenty of dosh :-/

Heavily depends on your definition of a lot. Really, you only need a mosfet (£15 or so), aoe correction (£4 for a sorbo pad), metal spring guide (£5 or so), and good bushings/bearings (many guns come with this stock, otherwise it costs less than £10). A neo magnet motor (£20-35) would be ideal. That's a total of maybe £50 or £60. It's not nothing, but I's not what I'd call plenty by airsoft standards. Most stock ratio gearsets will be absolutely fine for quite a while and can be replaced quite cheaply. 

Just noticed you said your local site was: Bristol Airsoft. I play Potishead and Blackops (both in Bristol), what site is it you go to?

I usually play CQB at the old courthouse but have been meaning to try Black Ops Cribbs for a while.

Only problem for me is I work every weekend so I haven't been able to play much for the last few months

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

I usually play CQB at the old courthouse but have been meaning to try Black Ops Cribbs for a while.

Only problem for me is I work every weekend so I haven't been able to play much for the last few months

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

The better site IMOO is the Potishead, the Back ops is a bit to overgrown at present. 

Archived