This AN/PRC-163 dummy radio from TS TAC SKY , is the newest item in my kit, earlier i reviewed already their AN/PRC-152A
the most detailed Dummy version of the Harris PRC-152A on the market, the AN/PRC-163 is the successor of the AN/PRC-152. 
IMG_20220910_104215.jpg (472.76KiB)

1.0 Introduction
First a brief introduction about communication equipment, aka “COMM's”
(who already read my Tac Sky PRC-152A review might notice similarities, i partly copied the intro, since the PRC-163 is the successor of the PRC-152 the previous history is partly identical) So here’s what i could learn so far about COMM'S in general, and in relationship to the loadout:

1.1 2e Line Gear
Is the Equipment required to complete the mission consisting :
Plate Carrier, Ammo, NVG, IFAK, Food&Water, Extra Clothing, and the COMMs.
https://www.varusteleka.com/en/article/three-lines-of-gear-placement-right-gear-in-the-right-place/65506

1.2 COMMs
One of the main components of the 2nd Line Gear are the COMMs, such a set-up usually consists of: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_ ... 20in%20air.
  • One, or two Radios
  • An Antenna
  • A PTT (Push To Talk) 
Teamleader set-ups often consist of 2 radios, and 2 PTTs, to communicate with HQ and team simultaneously.The most complex COMM's set-ups are seen with the JTAC, and FAC operators (Joint Terminal Attack Controller) (Forward Air Controller)

file.php?dt=display&id=6566

1.3 US Military Radio History
A short summary of the history of US military radios, since this is a true tangle, I just provide the necessary links for those who would like to delve further into this.

384292875_radioevolution.png.a9223caca2739ecb5feab129285d7697.png

1.3.1 SINCGARS
One of the 1st radio modernization programs, after Vietnam (PRC-66), was SINCGARS the first contract was awarded in 1983, to the then ITT (PRC-119)

1.3.2 JTRS Joint Tactical Radio System
Was the name of a new ambitious projectof the US DoD in 1997, the aim was to modernize all radios of all DoD branches (Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines) to so-called SDR radios (Software Defined Radios) JTRS would eventually be a financial flop in and of itself.

Nevertheless, we do see sub-components appearing in Army modernization programs such as Future Force Warrior, and Nett Warrior.

1.3.3 MBITR (Multi Band Inter/Intra Team Radio)
Finally is a result of JTRS/FFW with the first contract in 2007 awarded for the Thales AN/PRC-148, followed closely by competitor Harris with the AN/PRC-152.

Harrisfinally wins a $400 million contract with SOCOM in 2012 to replace the Thales AN/PRC-148 with the Harris AN/PRC-152.
(In response, Thales will upgrade the PRC-148 to PRC-148 JEM between 2015, and 2017)

901830606_prc148vsprc152.thumb.png.7aea05beb9a7797d58c095bbb3676451.png

1.4 Harris Falcon III AN/PRC -152A MBITR
In the past decade, about the most commonly used handheld radio by US SOF.
The Falcon III is a so-called Multi-Band Radio that exists in 2 versions
  • AN/PRC-152 (Non GPS and USMC only)
  • AN/PRC-152A with integrated GPS receiver.
an_prc-152_uv_multiband_inter_intra_team_radio_tri_2.thumb.jpg.49024c22d89338d2ee52ad70053d1f97.jpg

Check also my Tac Sky PRC-152A review to read more about the Harris Falcon III  

2.0 USSOCOM SPEAR NHTC / NGHH 
SPEAR is a long-term, evaluation, and modernization program, of USSOCOM
In 2017, the SPEAR FTHS program evaluated the USSOCOM “headbourne” systems, which led to the introduction of the Ops Core FAST FTHS ( updated FAST helmet) 
  • SPEAR (Special Operations Forces Personal Equipment Advanced Requirements) 
  • FTHS(Family of Tactical Headborne Systems)   (Check here my FAST Super High Cut SF helmet review to read more about FTHS)
Part of SPEAR, and related to FTHS were 
  • CASL (Communication Accessory Suite Land)
  • CASM (Communication Accessory Suite Maritime)
These consisted of suitable Headsets, and PTT's selected for SOF use, and in conjunction with the wider NGTC programs (Which on its turn led to the new Harris PRC-163 radio)
  • NGTC (Next Generation Tactical Communications) program
  • NGHH (Next Generation Handheld) radio.

Ops Core won in 2019 the CASL program with its AMP headset, (in addition to its contract for the FAST  (Other winner in this program: INVISIO with their V60 PTT and X5 headset)

pvsJHXyzJfDfBbC6ZIUsCrXisYFXNiVHloE0PoR_5c3T1L7X6rvVF9bIkejNMh459a6UOyuYNMw7v7bpDR7hCRP4GvIqSvnFXydikkkTacExppZtcN_N8D25HGCXgTGeuya3DPXRdRpgr1n7lraQw-M   

2.1 Harris Falcon IV AN/PRC-163 Multi Channel Handheld
Now let's take a closer look at the Harris AN/ PRC-163, Harris likes to call is newest product a 5 in 1 device, SWaP-optimized (Size,Weight, and Power) 

2.2 Features:
1: LOS & SATCOM Radio (Line Of Sight) (Satellite Communication)
2: MANET network radio (Mobile Ad-hoc NETwork)
3: ISR video receiver
4: DAGR (Defense Advanced GPS Receiver)
5: Signals Based Threat Warning Receiver   

The PRC-163 is a dual band radio, what means a 2e radio for a dual comm setup isn’t required anymore, the PRC-163 seems build for the future with is his extra expansion port at the rear, and compatibility with multiple transmission, and communication networks, the PRC-163 can besides be coupled with the new ENVG-B 
(Enhanced Night Vision Goggles-Binocular)

https://engage.l3harris.com/163-falcon/p/1?_ga=2.180319268.1476779502.1661671053-74906000.1660574484

Below the main external features of the Harris Falcon IV AN/PRC-163

Harris PRC-163 presentation.png (3.23MiB)

harris prc 163 antenna.png (490.21KiB)

3.0 Impressionism
Nowadays the PRC-163 should gradually replace the PRC-152, and PRC-148. has can be seen in the pictures below (not sure what's in the wild, and/or commercial)
PRC163 collage 2.png (12.45MiB)

PRC163 collage.png (6.18MiB)

4.0 TS TAC-SKY's AN/PRC-163 dummy case

For the Milsimminded Airsoft player, or Re-enactor who want to larp/play in an up to date kitThere is now the TS TAC SKY AN/PRC-163 dummy case, afaik the first and only one.A real working replica version like there is for the PRC-152 (TRI PRC-152, or Baofeng) Does’t exist yet for the PRC-163.

4.1 TS TAC SKY
Is a CN manufacturer that makes repro's of existing COMM equipment, like headsets, PTT's, and dummies.TS TAC-SKY do their own R&D, and production, and have their own TAC-SKY official storetacticalskystore, and Hearangelstore on Ali Express. 

TS TAC-SKY supplied me there new AN/ PRC-163 for this review.  
They also have a Yaesu  Vertex Plug version 
And also this discount code: NMBNAOOJBQF9 

4.2 The AN/PRC-163 dummy case
The set comes with two dummy antennas, and  a real, short, flexible antenna, which you can screw onto a Baofeng and fold over to fit in the case, the overall shapes are quite good replicated, except for some little details, and the color.

IMG_20220828_122414.jpg (949.29KiB)

4.3 External details
Lets go a bit more into detail, starting from the top, here we have the dummy GPS antenna, dummy dial knobs, 
dummy antenna connectors, and real working U-229 connector. The overall shapes are good.
Check here the complete externals photo album

tac sky topview.png (5.06MiB)

A bit lower than the actual front panel of the radio, with a simulated microphone grid,  

Rq7zkBj.jpg

On the right side we have the Side I/O (input/output) dummy panel this is correctly shaped, and detailed,  and made of a realistic looking chromed plastic, 
the overall tapered shape of the TS TAC SKY is also good replicated as the original Harris.

IMG_20220828_125815.jpg (321.61KiB)

On the left side we have the control buttons, dummy panel and battery release latch, once again all details are quite correctly replicated, 
the battery lacks the status indicator of the Harris. A dummy sticker would be a nice detail here.   

RGgatUo.jpg

The rear of the panel is also correctly shaped, and detailed, notice the dummy mission adapter I/O panel in chromed plastic, 
the coffin shaped recess on the top  lacks the sticker of the Harris unfortunately 

dMr3Wbo.jpg

The Dummy battery is removable same has the original Harris PRC-163,
 a nice and realistic detail, the dummy battery on itself is only an empty box
Check here the complete externals photo album

KDIP0YS.png

lYx5KUx.jpg

4.4 Internal Details
The radio section can be opened by removing the back panel screws, in the revealed space we find the Kenwood to U229 connector cable, 
this allows to connect a Baofeng radio with a U238 connector PTT, while “hiding” the Baofeng in the PRC-163 casing.

I did an accurate measure up of the inside space with you can see in the pictures below.   

SJFlGH0.jpg
zsVMLlH.jpg

Since i haven't yet a Baofeng radio (yet)  i borrow here an original TAC SKY photo to show how the Baofeng fit into the case  

YphKcJW.png

5.0 TS TAC SKY PRC-163 vs Harris
Has i mentioned earlier the TS TAC SKY is quite good replicated,some details excepted, most significant is the color, 
the TS TAC SKY is made out of an OD plastic where the real Harris is NATO Green painted, the antennas could also be a bit better detailed. 

Wanna know how accurate the TS TAC SKY is replicated compared to the real Harris?
Check here my TAC SKY vs Harris comparison photo album  r6Jhn9o.png

6.0 Tac Sky's PRC-152A vs PRC-163
As a bonus, and for who might be interested in it, some comparison photos of the Tac Sky PRC-152A vs PRC-163 

7.0 Conclusion
Al being said about details etc...once the PRC-163 Dummy is slided into the pouch and attached to the PC, only few of the details remains exposed, only the top panel actually, the TS TAC SKY PRC-163 is a nice impression item,  although some details could be a bit better, i am planning to do a little upgrade project, to enhance the general looks, so stay tuned if you wanna see it. 
Below some quick temporary set-up photo's more is up to come soon tacsky on pc GIF.gif (11.22MiB)

Edited by aac
  • Like 1
  • aac changed the title to Review: TS TAC-SKY AN/PRC -163 Dummy