Review: TMC G3 BDU (Woodland)

1.0 The Crye Precision GEN3 BDU

Is one of the most used BDU's (Battle Dress Uniform) nowadays, now there's a lot to tell about the remarkable history of Crye Precision, and their BDU's, so if you wanna know more about that, I invite you to check out my Crye A-line BDU guide here.

Naamloos.png (1.18MiB)

crye bdu.png (653.71KiB)

2.0TMC
This makes the Crye G3 also a must for Milsim/Reenactment/Impressionists.  That being said…an original Crye G3 set costs about 400 to 500 $, real Die Hard reenactors often look for used Crye's on Ebay, but for those who may want it a bit less authentic, there are also replica Crye BDUs,and  the best-known manufacturer nowadays is most likely TMC.

3.0 Weapon762
For Europeans the best place to purchase TMC items is most likely Weapon762 in Spain. Unfortunately, the popular items, and common sizes are often out of stock, The restocks however are announced on W762 Instagram, this is the fastest way to get updated. 

4.0 TMC Gen3 BDU’s
The TMC Gen3 Combat Shirt, and Gen3 Combat Trousers can be purchased separately, you can find them here. 

• TMC Gen3 Combat Shirt aka TMC-2899 exist in 14 colors, and 4 sizes.
  • TMC Gen3 Combat Trousers aka TMC-2901 exist in 14 colors, and 8 sizes.

4.0.1 Sizes
The size charts on W762's site are very accurate, you can rely on the specified size matching your personal measurements, there’s no need  to choose a larger, or smaller size.
At Least, that's my personal experience, in my case the set fits exactly as expected.

4.0.2 Promo’s
I ordered my set during the -20%off + Free Shipping promotion, which saved me €35 for a complete BDU set, a nice discount imho. I chose the Woodland set, because I wanted to build a Marsoc Raider impression kit for a long while already. And besides it was the only size, and color matching set still in stock. 

4.0.3 Quality
TMC has grown a reputation of a qualitative (repro) gear maker, according to various reviews, and feedback of owners, including myself. This G3 BDU made no exception, it's very well made, in 50/50 NYCO (NYlon/COtton), the used materials feel pretty solid, and decent. The stitching is pretty neat, and tight, also on the insides, the stretch zones are made in stretch fabric, same as the original

4.0.4 Original Cutting
Is a TMC designation which means the item is made according to the original design(Crye Precision in case of the Gen3 BDU’s) they also distinguish 2018, 2020, and 2022 versions, which allegedly refer to rising quality evolutions, in terms of materials.

5.0 Gen3 Woodland 
Is a pretty exclusive camo version best known from the Marsoc Raider units in Afghanistan who wore them to blend with the ANA units. The genuine Crye G3 was never commercially available in Woodland, and was issued in a few specific versions, now there’s a lot to tell about this niche combat apparel so   

Check out my Crye A-line BDU guide where i added a dedicated Woodland Camo chapter.  To learn more about these various versions, and the M81/Woodland Camo.

Woodland collage.png (3.67MiB)

This TMC G3 Woodland set, matches best the Crye G3 FR (Fire Resistant) version. I think? it's not easy to determine this only comparing with  photos, same counts for the colors and camo pattern

6.0 The Combat Shirt  
Frontal view on the TMC G3 Combat Shirt, notice the OD stretch torso, without any pockets, seams, or other features, which can possibly interfere with body armor, plate carriers, or chest rigs
While the sleeves, shoulder, and collar are made in the regular bdu fabric. This is the so called UBACS concept (Under Body Armor Combat Shirt)
hZJN1Dk.jpg

Detail on the collar, which is designed to protect the neck from slings, and straps, can be worn folded down, or raised. Check the skin protection surrounding the zipper, for optimized comfort, same as on the original Crye.
ssey7P0.jpg

Detail of the upper arm cargo pockets, slanted for easier access and divided into two staggered
 compartments, the velcro patch zone is divided in two vertical strips, to keep the pocket more flexible
characteristic for the Gen3 Combat Shirt.  
jWEq6Dq.jpg

The TMC has the eyepro, and pen holder same as the real Crye
0RSwNWz.jpg

The Elbows are reinforced with an elbow pad pocket, where an extra joint protection can be inserted, the elbow pad is not included with the TMC G3 Combat Shirt. Notice the cuff witch allow the sleeve can be worn in various ways  
Szu8n1y.jpg

CHECK HERE MY COMPLETE TMC G3 PHOTO GALLERY

7.0 The Combat Pants
Frontal view on the TMC G3 pants, notice the OD stretch zones above the knees, various located pockets, ankle cuffs,and the integrated, removable knee pads, which are included with the TMC Combat Pants.
5AqpAD8.jpg

Rear view on the TMC G3 pants, notice the velcro straps to adjust the required fit around the knee and ankles. 
AqYzcCY.jpg

The waist belt is padded for optimized comfort when carrying gun, or war belts the waist closes with a zipper fly, and velcro closure, similar to the original Crye
wrUi189.jpg

The integrated, low profile, waist adjustment system, same has on the Crye, allows the waist can be adjusted with two sewn in elastic straps, and set with a velcro tab.
RymGI8y.jpg

The diamond shaped gusseted crotch, in stretch fabric
Ae4ZnJO.jpg

The dedicated knife/ flashlight pouch, a clip is required since the knife pocket is open at the bottom , same as on the Crye btw.
rTielGZ.jpg

Magazine/bottle stabilizer strap in the main large thigh cargo pocket, same as on the Crye.
It must be said, the the elastic strap is to wide on the TMC Combat Pants, an M4 mag or even 0.5l bottle just don't get retained

The height adjustment system of the knee protections, its obvious here out much height difference there can be achieved.
C7Viwdn.jpg

The knee height adjustment bungee with toggle located  in the frontal thigh pocket, same as on the Crye
xJMMtFQ.jpg

Removable joint protection with flap to close the revealed opening on the TMC Combat Pants
WjeFpks.jpg

The Calf "Breacher" pockets easily accessible when kneeled  down 
R3aYXwF.jpg

8.0 Conclusion
Actually i haven't much to say about this TMC bdu set, except that it was very fine purchase, witch i only can recommend. It is a very well made, qualitative  piece of apparel, with all the known features of the original Crye Precision BDU.  This iconic M81 /Woodland version is a nice alternation between the nowadays dominating Multicam gear, very inspiring for a Marsoc/Raider impression.
The size charts on the Weapon762 site are very reliable, and if you await the promotion moments you can get a quite good discount.   

CHECK HERE MY COMPLETE TMC G3 PHOTO GALLERY

Edited by aac
  • Like 1