Raging Bull

HaVoC

Anyone seen Raging Bull, a film about the rise and fall of 1940s boxer Jake La Motta, with Robert DeNiro (my No.1 fave actor of all time...ever...) and Joe Pasci?

I picked it up on double-disc DVD for £7.99 today while looking for Battle Royale, and was mighty impressed. It was nominated for 8 Oscars including Best Actor (DeNiro), Best Director (Martin Scorsese), and Best Picture. It won Best Actor and Best Editing...

I thought it quite literally beat the living cr*p out of the Rocky films - the acting was better, the fights were really brutal and intense, and being in gritty black and white made for an interesting and brutal film, and one that deserves to be in top 10 lists...

Anyone else seen this - what did you think?

Its a fantastic film, very much a signature peice for Scorcese. What I find most impressive about the film is the directors treatment of the ordinary domestic scenes and interaction between the characters at home.

The roots of this can be found in a very early Scorcese work called "Italian American" which is a documentary about his parents and other family.

In fact Scorcese used snippets of Italian Americans tone in Raging Bull, a scene worth looking at would be the scene in the apartment were Jake is attempting to fix the television in the company of his brother (played by Joe Pesci) It is very authentic and gives the film that documentary feel.

privatecowboy!!!!!

You coming to Arnie-Geddon? I picked something up in the USA that you might like, namely a bottle of brand new exclusive Diet Coke with Lime!

Ahem, well, yes...Raging Bull rocks...yeah...*dies*

lime .....LIME.......now I am excited. Should be coming to AG, just getting the details worked out at present.

You have put me in the mood to watch raging bull now havoc so I think I will watch it on dvd tonight.

Archived