AIM M4A2 Version 2 Review

AIM M4A1 version 2 Review

Ordering: I ordered my AIM M4A1 Version 2 from www.hotspotairsoft.com and here is the link to the gun:

http://www.hotspotairsoft.com/hsastore/pro...products_id/580

As far as I know, Hotspot is the cheapest place to buy the AIM new, especially since Hotspot offers a $5.99 flat rate shipping. It took about 7 days to get to my house, which was a bit slow, but for $6, I didn’t mind at all.

First View: The AIM came in a nice black box, with the design on the front. The gun came with a speed loader, the gun, a magazine, a small bag of white .2 bbs, manual, and a front sight adjuster.

Build Material: The AIM is made mostly out of plastic, but there are a few metal parts, including the trigger, carrying handle, ejection port cover, and charging handle. There is a full metal body kit, specifically made for the AIM M4 for about $95, which I could only find at hotspot: http://www.hotspotairsoft.com/hsastore/pro...products_id/594

Parts of the gun: One of the cool things about the AIM M4 is that when you pull the charging handle, the ejection ports cover flips open, revealing the adjustable hop-up. You can imitate the cocking of a real M4, but slapping the magazine in, pull back on the charging handle, and then push the forward assist button, which goes in when you push it. The carrying handle is removable, revealing a RIS mount (which is metal) underneath to attach scopes and such. I’m not sure, but the carrying handle is very solid and pretty heavy, so it maybe metal. The iron sights have the big “o”, and the small “o”. The larger one I suspect is for cqb situations, or faster targeting, but sacrifices accuracy. The smaller one is for more accurate fire, but has a slower targeting rate, meant for long range battle. On the back of the iron sight, you can adjust it to go higher or lower, and I have no clue what the reason for this is, but is a cool, and realistic factor manufactured into the AIM M4. I use a 9.6 1050 battery in the AIM M4, even though the retail sites always tell you to get an 8.6, which will mess up the gun, and last you about 5 minutes. The stock is your standard M4 stock, which has two positions. It is made out of plastic, but I experienced no wobble. Another thing is the barrel, which is rock solid. I was very afraid that it would be loose, since I have read some accounts of loose barrels.

Magazine: The magazine that is included with the AIM M4 holds approximately 300 rounds, which is loaded by winding the wheel on the bottom. One thing that surprised me about the magazine was how many bb’s I got out of one wind! I’m used to always borrowing my friends TM MP5, and his hicap I would always have to wind after about 3-5 seconds on full auto. On the AIM, I emptied nearly the whole magazine on one wind! It was great, since I used to this to my advantage and provided support and covering fire for my teammates (who were very happy =D). The magazine is pretty heavy, which adds to the weight of the M4. It looks to be built out of strong ABS plastic. You fill the magazine by opening a cover on the top of the magazine.

Performance: I conducted an indoor test firing of the gun, firing from 10ft, 20ft, and 30ft away.

The accuracy from the indoor tests were great. In the 10ft test, there are really no groupings, as all the shots went in the same place. At 20ft, the groupings were still good, maybe about half an inch apart. At 30ft, you get about 1 inch groupings. When I read Arivee’s thread, he stated that the barrel was about 6.120mm in diameter, which I think is pretty big, since most stock AEG barrels are in the 6.08 range. I was surprised at how good the accuracy was considering the barrel diameter, half expecting the bb’s to come back at me. The hop-up works great, and responds correctly when I move it up or down. I also had the luck of going out with 4 of my friends to go play the next day. At the field, we had a TM M733, ICS MP5A5, CA G36, and a CA M4 CQB. My gun faired equally with all the guns. I got the ICS out once, the G36 out once and the CA M4 out once. I didn’t get the chance to go against the TM M733 as it was always on my team.

Suggestions: If you’re going to get the AIM M4, I really suggest that you upgrade to a tightbore barrel. On the tightbore barrel, I think they are all about the same, but I prefer a 6.04 diameter. In my friends TM MP5, he had upgraded to a 6.02 tightbore barrel, which caused a lot of jams due to the tightness of the barrel. I suggest the Systema M4 6.04mm tightbore barrel at Airsoft Atlanta which retails for about $39: http://airsoftatlanta.com/images/systema_barrell_jpg.jpg As for the hop up bucking 50%, I already have a Guarder 50% hop up bucking ordered from Evike, which costs about $5.00:http://www.evike.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=W&Product_Code=Parts_GE_07_01&Category_Code=UP_HOPUP). I will update you all on how the performance after I put the bucking in. The reason’s I suggest these two upgrades are because they are fairly cheap (especially the hop up bucking), but can make the AIM M4 better than most stock TM’s, and stock CA’s. You would have a higher fps, and much better accuracy.

Problems: The problems or dislikes I had about the AIM M4 are not a lot, but there are still some minor problems. One thing that agitates me is that the dust cover that covers the ejection port. The dust cover is easily opened (even without pulling on the charging handle). When I was playing, I extended the stock, and the dust cover just popped open. One suprising thing is that the outer barrel of mine cracked in half, but was not a big problem as I have put super glue in it, and have had no problems. Another thing is that the fore grip is a little bit wobbly, but it maybe just mine.

Final Thoughts: I am really happy with this gun. It has a lot of potential, and can be better than a stock TM or a stock CA with two upgrades, the hop up bucking and a tightbore. Honestly, if I had the money for a TM, I would still rather get the AIM M4. Why? Buy a tightbore, and it beats the TM in every aspect, except for reliability. It would have higher fps, more range, and better accuracy. During the game, I think that it was the same as the ICS and the TM, just in its different ways. The ICS had a slower fps, but the accuracy may have been a little bit better (not a lot though, since it is a MP5 length barrel). The TM also had a slower fps, but I think it may have had better accuracy. All in all, the AIM M4 is a great gun, with great potential. Thank you for reading my review, and I hoped you enjoyed it! I would hope that you guys give me some constructive criticism, as this is my first airsoft review.

Pictures:

- Box: box-1.jpg

- Inside Box: insidebox02.jpg

- Ejection Port: ejectionport.jpg

- Hop Up: HopUp.jpg

- RIS:nohandle.jpg

- Big iron sight: ironsightbig.jpg

- Small iron sight: smallsight.jpg

- No iron sight: noironsight.jpg

- Iron sight adjustment: adjust.jpg

- Barrel Trades: barreltrades.jpg

Edited by seefutguay

Sorry, I have never used teh AIM M4 V1, but I do not think it is in production anymore. But from what I recall, I think that it had a higher stock fps, but had problems with the fuses blowing, and problems in the gearbox. I wouldn\'t worry too much about it if I were you, since I don\'tt hink anybody sells the v1 anymore.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, sorry for the late update, havent been paying attention to this thread =D. I have gotten my systema tightbore and guarder hop up bucking in now for awhile, but I wont have a chance to test it out in a skirmish until next week. Installation for the tightbore was very easy. All you have to do is push out the two body pins, then open up the body into two halves. You then simply pull out the barrel which has the hopup unit connected to it, slide out the barrel, then just insert a new one. Although I have not tested this in a skirmish yet, im almost positive that it now shoots better then most stock TMs, CAs, and ICS. My gun is now the second best peformance wise out of all the people I skirmish with. I promise to update you who read this thread on the peformance with the systema tightbore barrel and the Guarder Hopup bucking.

Edited by seefutguay