I posted this on the wannabe forums a week or so ago and thought it might be worth a look for some of you guys.

Rab

For those of you who don't know, Rab is a Mountaineering company that makes extreme weather clothing and sleeping bags. Founded by Rab Carrington , the company has become a very popular choice for climbers and expeditionists over the 25 years it has been in business. Now, I know this isn't strictly for military use, but a lot of extreme weather gear used by military personnel is generally either none issue stuff or is based around civvy garments, so I thought "what the hell".

I own quite a lot of Rab gear, and on the whole, can vouch for the quality and longevity of their products. I've used most of the products I own (save one) whilst climbing and during downtime in PD skirmishes. This fleece has been with me up and down north wales; hollyhead mountain, tryfan and snowdonia etc etc

Positive Points

The Rab Classic Pullover Fleece comes in a variety of different forms, using different sized/function fabrics. The one I have cost a mere £30 and uses both Polartec's Wind Pro and Thermol Pro technologies.

24209072271.jpg

Wind Pro is a polartec patent that stops up to 4 times more wind than polartec's standard heavyweight fabric (300 afaik). The windproofing in this fleece is down to tight construction in the fleece, and "propietary yarns", which help reduce the windchill. Polartec fabrics also have a very effective water repellency. However it is not waterproof, and should not be treated as such. It's ok for light drizzle and fog/cloud if you're high enough, up to about 45 minutes to an hour. I have found that the longevity can be increased if you keep moving as the heat helps wick away the moisture.

23618373219.jpg

On the inside of the fleece is a much longer pile, providing great insulation. However I must say that I find it quite uncomfortable when wearing this next to skin as it is so warm, I tend to sweat profusely smile.gif When worn with a t shirt though, it is very effective at wicking away sweat. I tend to find that the outside of the fabric is very moist after a prolonged period of activity and sweating; especially in the lower back area.

Issues:

-Apparently when washing, you shouldn't use any fabric softener otherwise it will shorten the life of the wind protection

-Has no drawstrings at the bottom of the garment, I found that insulation is reduced in high winds unless other layers are used.

-Doesn't come with fitted thumbholes. I've deliberated long and hard about putting thumbholes into the sleeves, and the jury is stll out.

-Not waterPROOF. This however, comes with the territory.

All in all a great fleece for the price (I bought it in a field and trek sale for £30), some minor niggles but nothing that can be bettered at this price as far as I know.

This is my first post on here, so I wanted to make it a good one. I've tried to be as accurate as possible but if you see any mistakes, or know better, please feel free to drop you two cents worth.

Edited by Everett