Once my SR-15 was nearing completion, it was time to start looking into some optics. Being a match rifle, I quickly ruled out Aimpoints, EOTechs, etc and went straight for the scopes. Upon seeing this picture -

sr15match-vi.jpg

I knew a Leupold replica was the way to go.

At the time, options were limited.

- G&P M1

- G&P M3

- STAR M1

- STAR M3

The G&P looked the nicest, and had supposedly better glass, so I dropped the $200 or so at UNco for the scope, and Accushot rings.

About a week later, I was greeted by the brown wrapped box. Upon tearing it open, I was greeted with this -

DSC_0001-vi.jpg

The scope looked great upon first sight. Compared to the real Mk4s I've used, the finish was almost exactly on color-wise, but the quality wasn't as good. The finish, due to the anodizing process I am assuming, takes on a purple-ish tint in some light.

The scope does come with a set of instructions, but they do not relate to this model scope in any way. Useless? Indeed so.

DSC_0002-vi.jpg

Overview -

Externals -

The scope itself is a very nice unit. Solid metal, clear picture, crisp engravings, overall a great piece of kit (markings on scope tube are from grips inside rings).

DSC_0004-vi.jpg

The controls are easy to use, as the scope features target knobs with 1/4 MOA adjustment, click into place nice and solid. Rear diopter is easily adjusted, as is the illumination knob (11 levels). The parallax knob doesn't function very well, but I have yet to encounter a problem with the parallax itself.

Rear objective -

DSC_0005-vi.jpg

Adjustment turrets -

DSC_0008-vi.jpg

Parallax adjustment - one obvious differentiation between this and the real one, is the Leupold badge usually found in the middle of this knob.

DSC_0009-vi.jpg

Front Objective - the front objective is threaded for a sunshade ( not included ) , and has the proper Leupold markings. It has a anti-glare coating which works relatively well, not up to par with scopes designed for real firearms though.

DSC_0010-vi.jpg

Illumination Knob -

DSC_0011-vi.jpg

Zoom ring - smooth, easy to operate. Nothing unusual here. (see above picture)

Edited by pillow_pwnage

Function -

The scope features a standard cross reticle, contrary to the mil-dot found in the real counterpart. The crosshairs are well etched, and easy to use.

DSC_0012-vi.jpg

The illumination has 11 levels, all of which work well. 11 is very bright, and I would not reccomend it for even the lowest of lighting situations. I usually keep it on 5-8, depending on the environment. Here is the crosshair on level "9" -

DSC_0016-vi.jpg

The scope is fairly easy to zero, and maintains zero very well. Schockproof and waterproof, the scope withstood my test of time, and about 200 rounds through a .204 Ruger without losing zero. I feel this piece is more than adequately built for airsoft use.

Zero is same throughout the range of zoom, brightness of picture is very well at all levels. A good match of magnification, and exit objective diameter make for a good viewing, easy sighting, wonderful to use scope.

Conclusion -

For $200, I would have expected nothing less. I'm sure there are cheaper scopes that perform just as well, but they're not as sexy as the Mk4 now are they ;)

I'd buy another one any day, in fact I plan to once my next project is under progress.

I'll end this short, hastily written review with something a little more realixing than blocks of text. Enjoy.

Some eye candy -

SR15wallpaper-vi.jpg

DSC_3994vi-vi.jpg

ALL PICTURES PROPERTY BYRON PILLOW C-2006

Not to be reproduced without consent of owner

All images can be found here if not working in body.

- Pillow

Edited by pillow_pwnage
  • 1 year later...