Taclight Options

Marlowe

Hey there,

I thought I'd post this as I've spent hours pouring over the internet trying to source a taclight that A) Has a High output (65 Lumens plus) B ) Takes rechargeable batteries, and C) Has a switch assembly accessory available.

Arnie's Reviews of the Copia torches got me going, but sadly it seems impossible to get all the components (eg the torch, the charger and the switch assembly) to make the winning combo. The closest I've managed is finding some parts from wgc and the switch assembly on wolf armouries, which would cripple me - Wolf want 12.49 alone just to ship the tailcap!

I've tried finding other combos of rechargeable flashlights with pressure pads, but to no avail, as the torches that looked promising (from brands like g&g and even surefire) had no reviews on the net that I could source, and information about whether the batteries and tailcap would fit was sketchy at best....

So, this really is a plea for help. I know there's issues with just ramming rechargeable cr123a batteries (the type most taclights take) into any old flashlight, but after bumping into random things in the dark at my last skirmish (the accursed maglight was too fiddly to use), I really need a light which doesn't devour the world's supply of batteries and which I can turn on and off at will....

So if anyone has any ideas, please help me out! :(

the Copia torches got me going, but sadly it seems impossible to get all the components (eg the torch, the charger and the switch assembly) to make the winning combo. The closest I've managed is finding some parts from wgc and the switch assembly on wolf armouries, which would cripple me - Wolf want 12.49 alone just to ship the tailcap!
I've already done what you were thinking about.

Wolf dont actually charge £12.49 (i telephoned them as i was shocked too) thats just their crappy website being unable to calculate the weight/shipping. I think it was more the £2-5 mark. I got the Explorer from WGC (comes with LED tailcap) as it was the only small one in stock, the larger ones take 2 of those rechargable lithium batteries and look quite heavy!

It's not a cheap way of doing it, but cheaper than buying it all from Wolf who want a massive markup on their Copia torches and accessories. Some items are US$ converted straight to £ and then about 50% more!

Oh and i think i got hit with about £30 customs/VAT charges, but i bought a scope as well, so it might be more like £15?

Keep away from rechargeable Sure Fire lights!

I've owned a Sure Fire 8NX Commander two years ago, and it's completely useless. The rechargeable Sure Fire Batterys have a huge self-discharging problem. If you charge it an leave it about 10 to 14 days unused it's empty again. Also it's wider then the standard Sure Fires, so you will not able to put it into a 1" Mountring.

If you want a rechargeable flashlight go for one of the Wolf Eyes, their batterys will not discharge.

For a weapon mounted flashlight i still prefer a lithium battery option.

Not sure you can do that with a G2 Nitrolon though, can you?

Correct me if I'm wrong, though ;)

You can. I've looked into costs, the kit is £69.99.

A box of 12 batteries I can get for £30.

AD have a pressure switch for Surefires, the description is kinda vague that ones £25. Of course you could just make a pressure switch. Surely someone must have that guide book marked somewhere?

When I get round to it I'll post up some pointers on how to do it, although that might be 3 weeks away.

and Marlowe, :rofl: and you should have gone with the girl.

Keep away from rechargeable Sure Fire lights!

I've owned a Sure Fire 8NX Commander two years ago, and it's completely useless. The rechargeable Sure Fire Batterys have a huge self-discharging problem. If you charge it an leave it about 10 to 14 days unused it's empty again. Also it's wider then the standard Sure Fires, so you will not able to put it into a 1" Mountring.

I own two of the 8NX lights. When new, the batteries work wonderfully. They only have a life of about a year or two before they need to be replaced, though. I personally have one sitting on my nightstand that has not been charged in a month or two, and it still lights up at the full 110 lumens. I ought to recharge it soon, though.

Agree wtih you on the need for lithium batteries on a weaponlight, though - you don't want to have to question whether it's charged or not.

Archived