ICS M4 RIS and crane stock questions

Mr.Hyde

So I just got an ICS M4. And I love the thing, it does have a bit of barrel wobble though. Will the Echo 1 RIS fit it without too much trouble? I am not just looking for a RIS kit, but metal outer barrel as well.

My next question is about crane stocks. Can I just buy a CA one and put it on, or will I have to mod it? Which crane stock is best etc.

Any help would be great!

Haha, I am also looking for an RIS for my ICS M4.

For the barrel wobble, did you try tightening the screws on the outer barrel? I thought that I had some wobble, too, but it turned out that the screws just needed to be tightened.

As for the crane stock, I have a Hurricane crane stock on mine. I didn't install it, so I don't know if it needed any special modding, but it works fine now.

Haha, I am also looking for an RIS for my ICS M4.

For the barrel wobble, did you try tightening the screws on the outer barrel? I thought that I had some wobble, too, but it turned out that the screws just needed to be tightened.

As for the crane stock, I have a Hurricane crane stock on mine. I didn't install it, so I don't know if it needed any special modding, but it works fine now.

If you know the person who installed it, maybe you could ask them for us?

Anyway, which screws are you referring to? Like whereabouts are they?

Check out:

http://www.airsoftretreat.com/forums/index.php?topic=49844

There is a guide on how to modify the stock adapter to fit aftermarket stocks.

Here is my ICS M4 with a King Arms Clubfoot mod stock along with the 10" free float RAS:

http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/forums/inde...t&p=1654787

If you know the person who installed it, maybe you could ask them for us?

Anyway, which screws are you referring to? Like whereabouts are they?

Yeah, I'll try to get in contact with them.

The screws are just before the front sight on the bottom of the outer barrel. Try tightening those and see if it helps.

barrel wobble? Mind to explain please? I have 2 ICS M4s downstairs, and they've been fine for a long time. The 2004 version would come loose, and then we would just simply tighten it. Only happened twice.

As for fitting custom stocks on ICS M4s, I ran into this on Evike:

http://store.matrixbb.com/servlet/-strse-2...es-Stock/Detail

Would this help at all?

Hmm... that thing on Evike could be useful. Also, that thread that Hilts gave a link to is amazing. Very, very useful.

But I have a fullstock M4... so I'm wondering if there'd be anything extra I'd need (besides the fact that the gun is ICS), like a tube or something.

But does anyone have any comments about the RIS system?

LO again - glad you liked the link :),

You'll need to remove your full stock to check, but you should have an adaptor screwed to the back of the receiver, part MA27 in this diagram

post-1926-1201343451_thumb.jpg

If not you'll need to get one - it's where the buffer tube attaches

When you get a Crane stock kit it's easier (IMHO) to get one with the buffer tube (like this or this) - the ICS buffer tube was a bit too fat to fit my crane stock (a Star one) so I bought a G&P buffer tube second hand (rather than mess about stripping the paint off and filing it down). If you use a non-ICS buffer tube, you will probably need to file/dremel the tabs down a little on the stock adaptor (MA27) so it slides on. I'd post some pics of mine as well but I'm not at home at the mo'.

It should be a fairly simple job because you're already rear wired for the full stock.

Hope this helps :D

H.

*EDIT* fur speeling!

Thanks hilts, that really does help. Wish ICS wasnt so weird lol.

Where are the screws that you tighten to fix the barrel wobble? I can't seem to find them on my gun. It's fitted with a TM RIS(yuck)

does ICS make a metal RIS?

I may just buy the Dboys(echo1) RIS/metal barrel and stick that on there. Also, my stock is REALLY wobbly. If I tighten the huge screw under the stock, will that fix it?

Sorry for all the newbish questions, I have never owned a M4 before lol. I could make a video of all my problems I think, if that would help.

ICS aren't weird......they're unique :P

TBH it depends where the barrel is wobbling. It's usually either at the receiver end or where the barrel adjusts. If you remove your foregrip/RIS, you should be able to see where the wobble is.

Receiver end wobble is cured by tightening the delta ring/barrel nut (MA33 in the diagram in my post above). Take the foregrips/RIS off, undo the delta ring and slide it and the spring down the barrel to reveal the barrel nut. Using some pipe pliers/mole grips tighten the barrel nut (clockwise looking at it from the muzzle end iirc) to stop the wobble. It's a good idea to use a cloth or wrap some masking tape around the barrel nut to protect it and you might need to loosen it a little first before you can get it good and tight.

If it's wobbling where the barrel adjusts, just behind the foresight, then you'll need to tighten the little grub screws as identified in this diagram (section 4-3):

post-1926-1201370650_thumb.jpg

You'll need a very small hex key (1.5mm iirc) to adjust them.

On a side note, if you're having problems with the RIS fitting properly, then use the above diagram to shorten the barrel a couple of turns and make it a tighter fit. A different delta ring may also help (I've got one like this - can't remember if it's that one or a Hurricane one). ICS do make their own metal RIS :)

With the stock, there's two screws :rolleyes: , the one you've identified and one in the buffer tube. To get to the one in the buffer tube you'll need to take the collapsible stock off (pull the lever away from the stock tube and slide it off the end - it may be very difficult and need wedging with a flat screwdriver) and remove the end cap and look down the tube. You'll need a long flat screwdriver to tighten the bolt. See MA16 here:

post-1926-1201371842_thumb.jpg

Phew!

Good luck :D

H.

Diagrams courtesy of the ICS website here (scroll down a bit).

*EDIT* - speeling, again!

Yay no more barrel wobble. At least for the time being. Would it be ok to put locktight or something on the delta ring so it wont come loose?

And the stock wobble, I figured out that the screw in the buffer tube is the one that is loose. Looks like it is about half way out. I am having trouble getting the stock off the buffer tube. So the gun is laying right side down. I pull the leaver on the stock down and bring it to the last position on the tube. Then, I am not sure exactly where to go next. You mentioned a screw driver right?

Thanks for helping me with this, you are saving me a lot of money ^_^. I will just buy a new RIS for now, mine flops all over the place lol. I have a PEQ box on it, that is pretty heavy and I don't want to put a lot of stress on something that isnt up to the job.

I just saw a KA floating barrel, OMG I want one for my gun, but its pricy, I may just do it. That guide for noobs on ASR seems like it will help.

Good news! I don't see any reason that you couldn't use locktight, haven't needed it myself tho' - once it was tightened it stayed that way :) .

Getting the stock off can be a real PITA. Once you've got it in the last position you have to pull the lever as far as it will go so you can get the stock off the end of the tube - I used the screwdriver to get a bit more leverage. If you pull the lever far enough the pin that locks the stock into position will pop over the end cap so you can pull the stock off.

Sorry if I haven't explained it very well :huh:

Cheers

H.

Hi,

Hope you managed to get the stock off OK :) . FYI, unless you know for certain that the KA kit will fit I'd do a bit more research. I've heard of problems with the threads on the receiver not matching up - like in this thread. I'm not saying it definitely won't fit, but just be aware you might have problems.

Good luck

H.

Archived