Nikon D50

Stealthbomber

Right,

I took my D50 to a skirmish last weekend. I was sniping as part of a KOTH game and I got chance to set my camera up on the sidelines so I could take pictures of the fight.

Thing is, basically, I just couldn't get the freaking IR remote to work.

I have the pukka Nikon IR remote and it works perfectly.

The problem seems to be that I set the camera to "remote-shutter" or "timer/remote-shutter" is it works fine for a couple of minutes then seems to revert back to the manual-shutter setting.

It's as if there's a time limit of a couple of minutes on how long it retains the setting before returning to the default.

I've tried it in the house this evening.

I press the timer button and twiddle the function dial to either "remote-shutter" or "timer/remote-shutter" and the correct icon shows up on the display.

I can use the remote to take pictures but, if I do nothing for a couple of minutes, the icon vanishes off the display and the remote doesn't work any more until I reset the function to "remote-shutter" again.

So, HELP!!!

This is REALLY annoying me.

I need to know how (if it's actually possible. It MUST be, right?) to set the camera so it can be triggered by the remote at any time.

I mean, surely it's gotta be possible that you can leave the camera for long periods and then trigger it using the remote, right?

Oh and, I don't mean to be impolite but, please no "Have a look at the camera settings" replies. If you have specific advice about what I need to do, tell me. If not, zip it. ;)

Greetings fellow DSLR owner!

I believe the time that the camera will retain that setting can be changed in the "custom function" menu. I presume you know where this... should be dead easy to change if Canon's idea of "custom function" is the same as Nikon's. Being a 400D owner I can only go on what a quick search turned up on the DPreview forums but it should work though.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, you can keep it on "indefinitely" by taking a photo before the maximum time is up (15 minutes I think). That sets the timer back to zero again.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, you can keep it on "indefinitely" by taking a photo before the maximum time is up (15 minutes I think). That sets the timer back to zero again.

Yep.

I ended up taking a picture every minute to keep it working but, unfortunately, due to the nature of airsoft (:D) I'd get busy for a few minutes and, when I tried it again, the bloody thing would have reset itself.

I checked it out in the house and the damned thing does only retain the setting for a couple of minutes. I haven't looked through the settings yet. TBH, it really hacked me off and I wanted to leave it until I'd calmed down a bit.

Time to have a proper read of the manual I suppose. :(

I've got a D40X, haven't got a remote yet (you have the ML-L3 wireless IR?)

According to the 'Magic Lantern' guide I have, the remote operation timer can be adjusted via the custom settings menu (it's CS 17 on the D40X). The default setting is the shortest time option.

It advises that the camera draws more power while in remote operation mode, so the time in remote mode should be kept to a minimum to avoid sapping the battery.

Hope that's of some use.

:devil:

Archived