Merino Gear

Vostok

Right, so recently I got myself a Merino wool neck gaiter from TAD gear, and I've come to the conclusion that the stuff is brilliant, and I need more of it.

Basically what I was looking for was more Merino stuff that was in OD, so I could use it at work. For a while TAD had everything I was looking for, but then they went and changed the colour of their stuff to some obscure shade of green which would never fly in my unit.

I then stumbled upon MissionPac and they have a fairly extensive line of merino stuff, but again the colour becomes a problem as I'm fairly sure it's not close enough to traditional OD.

So I was wondering if anyone else had a secret source if military use Merino wool products, and I suppose this thread could be used as a sort of guide for others who want some of this fine wool product as well.

Right, so recently I got myself a Merino wool neck gaiter from TAD gear, and I've come to the conclusion that the stuff is brilliant, and I need more of it.

Basically what I was looking for was more Merino stuff that was in OD, so I could use it at work. For a while TAD had everything I was looking for, but then they went and changed the colour of their stuff to some obscure shade of green which would never fly in my unit.

I then stumbled upon MissionPac and they have a fairly extensive line of merino stuff, but again the colour becomes a problem as I'm fairly sure it's not close enough to traditional OD.

So I was wondering if anyone else had a secret source if military use Merino wool products, and I suppose this thread could be used as a sort of guide for others who want some of this fine wool product as well.

My friend owns a Merino sheep farm in Western Australia, I worked for him on the farm one Summer. Good times :D

Maybe I could get you some from the original source and dye it OD :P

My friend owns a Merino sheep farm in Western Australia, I worked for him on the farm one Summer. Good times :D

Maybe I could get you some from the original source and dye it OD :P

heheh, learn to weave myself? :P

But seriously in this forum dedicated to gear, not one person knows of a place to get merino stuff?

I am disturbed. :mellow:

I have a bunch of "Smartwool" that you can get in hiking stores, and some "Rapha" that you need to order from the UK.

Nothing OD, but you can get raw white from Rapha and maybe you could dye it, and they've got black too.

Nice pricing on the downunder stuff!

Icebreaker is brilliant stuff. kept me warm even when i got soaked during an iceclimbing course. Its well made, but quite expensive. I too, use it every day, but OD could a problem. Does it matter if being used as a base/mid layer?

Depends, but I've been sporting a pair of black Lifa long johns on a couple Field Exs with not to much. As long as its a earthy colour (brown/black/green/navy blue) it should be good to go.

The only thing that OD would be a necessity would be for a watch cap or neck gaiter. Which for the short term is really what I'm looking for because the issued toque is ######.

Archived