The SUSAT had its first run out yesterday and I was pleasently surprised. As previously stated by others it is far from being a sight with high quality optics but it did the job it was bought for and in fact it had a positive effect in a number contacts throughout the day. Zeroing turned out to be no problem in my case, I was lucky and it needed no adjustment in azimuth so I was unable to check the range of move on the left/right adjusters. In elevation the sight was looking a good couple of metres or so high above the point of impact at 40 to 50 metres. That moved down to the correct position with no issues. The eye relief while wearing eye/face protection is an issue after all the real sight as with the replica was designed for use with without any kind of eye protection. However as I see it all I'm getting is the same issue I had when wearing an S10 respirator during my APWT years ago and exactly the same problem those currently serving have given the increased instances of the wearing of eye protection on ops, which in itself I would assume to be one of the major reasons for the adoption of the ACoG sight into UK service.

Overall I would say give it serious thought before parting with your cash for either of the SUSAT replicas that are available as neither are cheap or of stella clarity in the optics department but from my day of use so far it does the job and looks far better than iron sights or an ACoG as far as mounting on an L85/L86 at least as far as I'm concerned.

Edited by Tarnish
  • 2 months later...

Completely forgot about this thread.

The front lense that was smashed on mine was actually part of the focusing system as it was a convex shape.

However i replaced my broken lenses with 2mm acrylic, while not resisting a bb strike i got 10 of them for £10 so cant complain. I am particularly weary of using polycarbonate, as not less than 3 weeks after my lense was smashed, a friends front lense was broken in completely the same way. He decided to replace it with a polycarbonate cover as it were, however during the recent heatwave, it warped in his garage and cracked both the convex optical lenses that actually do the focusing, thus making his SUSAT a massive paperweight.

Whilst on the subject of the sight, when taking mine apart, the large prism in the internals of the sight is make from cheap perspex, and while mine seems okay, the other one i've seen had a bubble on one of the corners. If you replaced this perspex prism with a glass one visual clarity would probably increase 10 fold.

Sean