After finding K3mp0's thread asking for help with getting an item from RSOV and being able to add it to my order in progress, I got to thinking - could we not create a section on the forum whereby people could request items from overseas suppliers and when there's enough stuff it all gets ordered together and everyone splits the postage.

Not sure what people would think about this, but I'm sure some would find it useful, especially if you only want something small, it's not worth ordering yourself. Perhaps certain people would be willing to take on certain retailers and put through orders every few months? We could maybe even get some sort of deal going, several overseas suppliers have bulk discounts or wholesale price lists that we might be able to get in on, and everyone would save money.

This could also be used for forum members who live close to the overseas shops - if willing - to go and get the items directly and then post them over here, this would eliminate the annoyance of ordering something only to find it's out of stock or broken when it arrives 2 weeks later.

What do people think? Good idea? Unworkable? :unsure:

The biggest issue I can see is the money one. Obviously, you wouldn't ask people to pay until the order was ready to go, stock had been checked, etc. but then you'd have to get one payment to cover the item and a share of the shipping, then another payment later to cover onward shipping to the buyer and import fees, etc.

It may or may not end up being cheaper than ordering by yourself, but I think it would be less hassle. Customs would have less individuals to deal with, larger parcels coming through instead of lots of small ones, and the handling charges levied by some couriers are per parcel rather than by size, so there would be a small saving there.

I already follow this format with my team, I handle most of the orders for everyone, so I know it can work on at least a small scale.

The section would probably fall into one of the sales sections - presumably one in each, as it's unlikely that many players would wish to take part in a group buy involving for example, UK and US members. If there's sufficient demand I'd be happy to set something of this sort up.

Critically though, any sort of commercial action realy should be occuring within that section of the forum. I'm not comfortable with folks setting up group buys in, say general discussion, due to the possibility of folks scarpering on a group without paying, etc.

I had envisaged it as more of a section on its own, but I can see how it might be good to put it in the already-existing sales sections.

I've got a spreadsheet (Excel) layout that I use to keep track of orders and share shipping costs and import duties (based on percetage of total price of the order), I'd be happy to send it to anyone who's interested.

If it goes ahead, I'd be willing to put orders through my accounts with Redwolf and WGC in HK (Although I'm having trouble with WGC at the moment, and they're not replying to my emails). I get 5% off WGC orders because I use their airsoftmail email address, which I could pass onto anyone ordering stuff from them.

People would have to pay the cost of the item (at least) in advance, as I'm not rich enough to order a load of stuff and collect money later.

Edited by Hedganian

Hrm, I don't think it would be a significant area to warrant its own dedicated section, and I really don't feel comfortable allowing this in a public section of the forum. We imposed the 100 post rule to prevent members being ripped off by one post users and the like; I really don't want to give them a back door to doing more of it.

Anyway, let's see what sort of demand we get and work from there. If only a handful want it, it might be better to just use a thread somewhere everyone can access. :)

tbh even pre-VCRA and dealing with folks you know well trying to get group orders together was always like herding cats - last minute changes/additions that screw up the shipping quote having to add-on paypal processing fees so the guy collecting the dough isnt out of pocket, additional cost of special del'ing or couriering stuff UK to UK afterwards to make sure folks got their part of the order etc (sometimes can end up adding nearly as much on as they would have paid in shipping themselves)

then you get a part going out of stock just as the order goes in, suggestions of an alternative from the supplier you need to pass on to that buyer to see if thats suitable, something missing or damaged from an order (which turns into a disaster if its part of a bundle of interrelated parts that are no use to them without the missing/damaged one) and these days all the hassle of chasing up multiple folks skirmisher status to keep you on right side of the legalities.

Not knocking you for giving it a go always nice to see someone going out of their way to be helpful to others, but can turn what starts out a freindly gesture into a world of hassle. If you are going to do it stick with EMS for the international shipping - at least with them you'll know for sure if the parcel has been hit with customs charges

Use TNT etc and you could find yourself in receipt of the VAT n duty charges a few weeks after you've sent everyone their packages out :(

Edited by snorkelman