How To Make an Accurate MEU(SOC) 1911

-=OGGY=-

The Ultimate MEU(SOC) Pistol Guide

Background:
Alright, I have been putting a lot of time into researching the MEU(SOC) 1911 recently, and I figured I could save a lot of people some time by writing up a nice in-depth guide how to create an accurate MEU(SOC) replica for each production period. I will be looking at three separate production periods: Early, Updated, Commercial. In each period there are several small variations between the pistols, but for the most part they are very closely related.

Disclaimer:
There really isn't a lot of concrete information about the MEU(SOC) pistol. Information is scattered and many times it doesn't agree. I did my best to take the information I found and convert it into a complete parts list, but in several instances I had to make assumptions as to the correct part, simply because there was no information for that time period or there was conflicting information. Also some information was left out if it was completely useless from an airsoft point of view.

Early:
Originally, the life of each MEU(SOC) pistol began as a frame from Government Model 1911 produced in the 1940's. The frame was inspected and used if it still met the military specifications. I also read that in some instances Caspian frames were used, but this was not nearly as common. From here, commercial parts were added. The Slides were made by either Caspian or Springfield; the later being more common. At some point, forward slide serrations became required, but since I could not find an actual date as to when this became a requirement, pistols in this production period can be found with or without the forward serrations. A company called King's Gun Works supplied Bushings, Front Sights, Wide Grip Safeties, and Ambidextrous Thumb Safeties. Ed Brown is also said to have supplied the Grip Safeties, but this conflicts with information I found for pistols made in the 'Updated' period. The Barrels were made by Nowlin, as were the Mainspring Housings which had a lanyard loop. Some say the Bushings were made by Nowlin as well. Three-hole match Triggers were supplied by Videcki. Wilson Combat supplied Magazine Release Buttons. The Hammers were "Colt Commander" round style. The Rear Sights were made in-house by the USMC armorers building the pistols. Of course, how could I forget, the grips were supplied by Pachmayr.

Slide Markings:
“MODEL 1911-A1
CAL. 45”

Notes:
One thing that has really bothered me is the Slide Stop. I really have not been able to find out ANY information as to what type of slide stop is found on 'Early' MEU(SOC)s. So there are two ways this could go, the Slide Stop is either taken from the Government Model and is checkered; or is after market and is serrated. Personally I believe that the Slide Stop is serrated. This is partially because I think that the surface of the Thumb Safety and Slide Stop should be the same (personal preference), and partially because a complete weapon from Springfield Armory marked 'MODEL 1911-A1 CAL. 45' (same mark as the slide) has a serrated Slide Stop.

Parts List:
earlypartslist.png

Updated:
As the title of the production period suggests, the pistols made in this time were simply improved versions of those made in the 'Early' period. I could not find information about every part, so if I didn't find any information, I assumed the part remained the sameas it was on pistols of the 'Early' period. At this time, all Slides would have forward cocking serrations. Due to some operators having trouble operating the Grip Safety, it was replaced by a 'memory groove' Grip Safety. This was almost certainly supplied by Ed Brown. The Ambidextrous Thumb Safeties were also supplied by Ed Brown. The Barrels were supplied by Bar-Sto. My guess is that the Bushings and Front Sights were no longer made by King's Gun Works, but I have no written fact to confirm this.

Slide Markings:
“MODEL 1911-A1
CAL. 45”

Notes:
A "Colt Commander Style" round Hammer or an oval Hammer could be accurate for pistols created in the production period. Both USMC and Novak Rear Sights are accurate for pistols made in this period because at some point the Novaks began to replace those made in-house, but I could not find out exactly when.

Parts List:
updatedperiodparts.png

Commercial:
I decided to call this production period 'Commercial' because it was at this time that the USMC armorers began to stop having as much of a role in the production of MEU(SOC) pistols. The pistols now began their lives as Springfield Professional Model pistols. Forward cocking serrations, which were previously made a requirement, were added to the Slide. The Slides came bearing the "Springfield Custom" markings, but these were covered by the forward cocking serrations, as found on many airsoft MEU metal kits. It can be assumed that many of the parts previously replaced on earlier pistols were left alone because the parts that came with the Springfield Professional Model already fit the specifications. These parts include the Trigger, Grip Safety, Hammer, Magazine Release, and Slide Stop. I am not sure as to whether or not the sights were also left alone, because although they are of similar style to the Novak sights used on earlier MEU(SOC) pistols, the sights have white dots. I specifically remember reading that MEU(SOC) pistols use only black sights, but that specification could have been directed only to earlier model pistols; not the 'Commercial' Period ones.

Notes:
Because the Bushing originally found on the Professional Model is silver, it is assumed that it was replaced by one supplied by Nowlin or King's Gun Works because previous MEU(SOC) pistols feature a black Bushing. Both the Magazine Release and the Slide Stop found on the Springfield Professional are serrated, as are the ones found on the MEU(SOC).

Slide Markings:
“PROFESSIONAL
CAL. 45”

Parts List:
commercialperiodparts.png

Additional Notes:
One external part that I did not mention for any of the production periods is the Recoil Spring Plug. On every MEU(SOC) pistol, the Recoil Spring Plug is the standard USGI style. Also, on all MEU(SOC) pistols except for a few produced in the 'Early' Period, their ejection ports have been lowered and flared. Finally, for pistols produced in the 'Early' and 'Updated' Periods, there should be no checkering on the Frame. Another thing that is a disappointment; every single MEU Kit on the market today is inaccurate because it has too little forward cocking serrations on the Slide.

Picture Links:
This is an excellent picture of a very 'Early' Period MEU(SOC) pistol. Notice the Govorment Model Frame, the Slide with no forward cocking serrations, and the ejection port not being lowered and flared. The pistol in the picture also has a USMC made rear sight, a "Colt Commander" style Hammer, and a Grip Safety by King's Gun Works.
http://i43.tinypic.com/25s5zrs.jpg

Here is another very 'Early' Period MEU(SOC). Again, the pistol lacks a lowered and flared ejection port and forward cocking serrations on the Slide.
http://www.gun-world.net/usa/handgun/m1911...meu1911iraq.jpg

This picture shows an 'Early' Period MEU(SOC). This one, however, has forward cocking serrations on the Slide and a lowered and flared ejection port.
http://i44.tinypic.com/5agyko.jpg

The pistol in this picture is either an 'Early' or 'Updated' Period MEU(SOC). It is hard to tell which one because the Grip Safety cannot be seen.
http://i43.tinypic.com/qyd1ue.jpg

This picture shows what is most likely a 'Updated' Period MEU(SOC) because of the oval Hammer.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...OC-pistol-1.jpg

This picture also shows what is most likely a 'Updated' Period MEU(SOC). This pistol is also distinguished by it's oval Hammer. What is nice about this picture is that if you look closely you can read "MODEL 1911-A1 CAL. 45" on the Slide.

In this picture all three different types of hammers can be seen. The Marine fartherest away is holding either an 'Early' or 'Updated' Period MEU(SOC) because of the "Colt Commander" round Hammer, the Marine next to him is holding what is most likely an 'Updated' Period MEU(SOC) because of the oval Hammer. The two Marines in the middle are holding what are most likely 'Commercial' Period MEU(SOC) pistols. The first one is distinguishable by its Springfield style Hammer, and the second one is distinguisable by it's front sight. Notice how it is identical to front sight on the first Commercial' Period MEU(SOC), but it is different from all of the other pistols.
http://www.gun-world.net/usa/handgun/m1911s/meu/meu1.jpg

The pistol in the picture is the Springfield Model 1911-A1. I can be assumed that the slides for the 'Early' and 'Updated' Period MEU(SOC)s came from this pistol.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...1911A1-JH01.jpg

This picture shows the Springfield Professional Model. this was the gun purchased by the USMC to be used a a MEU(SOC) pistol.
http://www.gunreports.com/media/newspics/s...-Custom-1_1.jpg

How Do The Current Guns and Kits Stack Up?:
howdothecurrentgunsandk.png

BTW:
If this has been done before, or if you think this guide is pointless, I don't care. I did the research because I needed to find information for my own build. Yes, I do think I went a bit overboard with the information, but I did this guide partially for fun simply because I am bored. Now hopefully this is helpful to someone who has the same attention to detail as me :)

Archived