Is this guy taking the mick (rip-off builders!)

GuzziHero

My gable end wall needs re-rendering cos the old stuff is falling off.

I got a quote for 2300 a few years back, which dropped to 1800 because he tried to get us to sign on the day...we rejected that.

So I called out some guys to give me quotes. I got one the other day... 1300, plus 400 for scaffolding, and that included installing an expansion joint.

But I got another guy from a firm who looked at the job, heard how Id rejected the 2300 offer some years back cos it was a crazy price, he listens and nods etc. Tells me he rejected a £3500 quote on his house to do an entire frontage of the property. He wont give me even a guesstimate on the spot, says he wants to go and work it out properly.

Got the quote today... £3765 PLUS V.A.T :o Also, they say they need access to the property for EIGHT days (for an 11x9 metre wall).

Now...is this guy taking the mick or do you think he has possibly mixed up my quote with another job? Needless to say I aint accepting that!

It always seems that when you get 3-4 quotes for a job...one is always costed way out of proportion, doesnt it?

Feel free to post your own examples of ludicrous job costings :D

One bit of advice...

Go for a quote that is all-inclusive.

Don't try to be a smart-*albatross* by hiring one builder to do the work and hiring the scaffolding and tools from a local hire shop.

All that'll happen is they'll find some excuse for why the item isn't suitable and insist on using their own stuff anyway.

Get a price that covers EVERYTHING (even if it's a bit more expensive) and then you can, at least, hold em to it.

Archived