Star AW338, hop-up issues

Corrigan

Good morning, Internets!

I own an Aw-338, and a little while ago I took it apart to have a look, as I wasn't getting the range and accuracy reported by others.

It turned out my inner barrel was bent (!) by at least a few mm. I'd heard about that being the case with a few others of this rifle.

So anyway, I get a Madbull V2 6.03 and pop that in, along with a Madbull Shark bucking (the black rubber one) and their fishbone nub.

Thing is, now I'm getting insanely inconsistent hoppage applied to every shot. It's like underhop, underhop, about right, way overhop, overhop, underhop. Just wildly varying.

I've taken it apart and reassembled it like ten times, and tried with both the stock, cylindrical rubber nub, and a bit of Biro inner tube.

I've also secured the adjustment screw with PTFE tape, so I'm sure that's not moving. I've put between 100 and 200 rounds through it, and it's not getting better.

I've tried super grand master .3s and TM .25s through it, and I'm using Abbey Pred. Ultra and green gas.

Ambient temperatures have all been around 22C and stable.

Does anyone have any clue as to what may be behind this? Very grateful for any replies.

Archived