Comparing ATi GPUs

Punkypink

Hey thanks my_plague_666! That was an especially helpful link. Can't say I am tempted to switch to nvidia, but I have to say I'm starting to seriously consider getting the 5850 instead. The gulf in performance to the 5770 makes the extra it costs worth it.

DFR: Er, the company that makes the casing is called Aerocool and has a US HQ.

the 5850 does seem to be a nice card, although for what you want it for im not sure it's necessary considering how much it costs.

the 5770 seems a poor buy to me when a GTX275 is little more and a much much better performing card (mine is overclocked and runs crysis warhead maxed out with AA at 1920x1080) the only thing the 5770 has to it's name is DX11 support (which is only any good if you have windows 7)

if you have the money, by all means get the 5850 that way you wont be lacking graphics horsepower for a good while. also if you decide to go for the 5850 you ought to splash out on a new monitor. one you have a 23" widescreen running 1080p (which you'll manage with ease on any game with a 4850) you'll wonder how you ever lived without one :)

the 5850 does seem to be a nice card, although for what you want it for im not sure it's necessary considering how much it costs.

the 5770 seems a poor buy to me when a GTX275 is little more and a much much better performing card (mine is overclocked and runs crysis warhead maxed out with AA at 1920x1080) the only thing the 5770 has to it's name is DX11 support (which is only any good if you have windows 7)

if you have the money, by all means get the 5850 that way you wont be lacking graphics horsepower for a good while. also if you decide to go for the 5850 you ought to splash out on a new monitor. one you have a 23" widescreen running 1080p (which you'll manage with ease on any game with a 4850) you'll wonder how you ever lived without one :)

and lower power consuption and lower heat generation.

not based on older tech.....

The 5770 is a good card allthough i will agree i don't think it's worth the money currently, needs to come down a few bob.

i dont know about you but neither of those factors would sway me towards a less powerful card. so what if it pulls a few more watts, and as for temps i'll help that as much as i can with case fans but to be honest as long as the card can cope with the heat it puts out (which it can) it doesnt bother me. i bought my GTX275 pre overclocked to 702 Mhz, and that puts out some silly heat but it doesnt bother me because it's never faltered so far and is backed by a 5 year warranty. older tech? yes, but thats a moot point when the older tech is more effective.

Archived