VOX Circuits

EmptyChambers

Hey guys. I saw in the duall PTT thread that there were a couple people who sounded like they had some skillz with electronics, so i figured I'd post this up.

Basically what I'm looking to do is rewire a standard ACM bowman/swimmer type headset to allow voice activation. I know all about the various caveats to it, namely its propensity for making everyone on the channel listen to me breath heavily, but for my use, its more convenient than a ptt. Anyways...

I know that you can buy pre assembled vox circuitry designed for use in such things as appliances, to make them turn on and off. I'm unsure whether these would be appropriate for use with a radio as it would have to both push enough power, and differentiate between transmission and receiving. I wouldn't mind gutting the PTT box to make room if its going to be possible, so space shouldn't be a huge issue.

The issue of course is that I don't really know what I'm doing. Would this design be possible, even for a novice like myself?

Archived