Iron Airsoft Larue Tactical Metal Body

My review goes over the course of a few days.

So I just got the lower in today. It's pretty nice. The finish is quite nice. I can say with some confidence however that the item is not CNC'd from Billet. You can see and feel a seam line at the bottom of the lower receiver, behind the pistol grip. Some of the edges also have that "casted" look as they have not been machined. It's a little disappointing considering the price of the item, but it's still a lot less than a Prime, about half the cost?

lt151.jpg

lt152.jpg

In this next picture you can see the seam line.

lt153.jpg

In this next picture you can see some imperfections in the front of the body. I've never seen this from a billet product.

lt154.jpg

So maybe the body is forged?

I thought about forging, but they'd need to make a lot in order for a forging to make sense as opposed to Billet.

It's quite probably the nicest non-billet airsoft item I've seen. I'd be hard pressed to choose between this and Prime. Prime has a better build, but at twice the price. It's not twice as nice unless you're a billet fiend. How well it works will determine it's worth for me. As of right now it's perfectly fine, I just had my hopes a little higher. Lets see what fun things I can do with this.

The purchase still made sense for me, and I'll see about selector compatibility later tonight. I'd like to compare it to an Ino lower as well, maybe someone will bring one to OP Lion Claws this year. I might have time to write up a review in the near future and I have almost all the parts necessary to have a complete separate lower.

One of the most intriguing features is that it looks like it takes a real selector switch, but...

Real selector won't drop in. It would take some precision machined spacers to make it fit. I don't know if I'll go through with that.

I'm not sure if it's worth it to get a LPK to see what parts fit. This body was made to metric standards. I'll try a friend's KNS pins to see if the spacing over there is matched up before I take it any further.

They did make the selector detent pin captive though, so it won't shoot out when you remove the selector; smart.

It's definitely better than a G&P body from appearance.

A few days later:

Did some more fitting tonight, I had to do some filing to fit a G&P mag catch, not much, the mag catch just didn't fit in the slot on the left side. I also had to do some filing on the left side pivot pin hole to get it to take a Prime upper.

The Iron Airsoft mag catch looks bad, it's visibly cast on the mag catch body. I actually like the color (I actually have a real mag release button that looks just like that), I just don't like the seam line. But their pins are either raw steel or phosphate coated which look really nice.

My KAC ambi mag catch was somewhat deformed when I got it. When It tried to put it into a Prime body it looked short until I realized that it wasn't straight. Once I straightened it out it was about the same size as my Prime and G&P mag catch. Both my Prime and G&P are the same size, only different threads.

It took some filing to fit the firing block, just like Prime.

My G&P buffer tube fit fine, but the receiver end plate needs to be real steel spec.

The detent springs are a bit on the weak side, but I guess no more so than other airsoft stuff. I'm using KNS pins and detenst in my Prime lower.

I was going to install the lower parts but I couldn't find my spare hammer spring, I have one coming in anyways so I'll just wait for it.

I'll switch over the Tango Down grip once I get a new Troy Battle Ax CQB grip.

This entire body is a combination of great and meh. It's about 90% awesome and 10% seam lines. If they sanded down the seam lines, and made it just a little bit cheaper it would be great. If they used real steel measurements it would be bliss.

Because the finish on this body is excellent, it was cleaned up and coated very well, it's just almost there.