Going over to the UK over the summer.

Billy Bob the Sniper

Speaking of tourism, etc, there is the stereotype of japanese types taking photos of everything, I had regarded this, like most stereotypes, as a bit of *badger*s, untill I was waiting in Salisbury train station to catch the train to Reading (exciting times), a train pulled in in front of me, people filed out, including a group of Japanese people who promptly started taking photos of platform 2 of Salisbury station, I was amused but at the same time, confused. There are a few nice places in Salisbury, but the station is not one of them, not least the departure screen inside the station, or whatever they decided was worthy of thier photo album.

haha you should try coming down to cornwall, for some reason St Austell and beyond is a mecha for japanese people. when i get the train to cornwall for an airsoft game 8/10 theres some asians taking photos of who knows what. One time an asian guy was taking pictures of the foot bridge over the train tracks. Then started taking pictures of us semi gear'd up, think he thought we where hill billys.

edit; oops just to make it relevant, i would recommend a trip to the southwest, very varying countryside and alot of nice places and us janners tend to be freindly. Rural Cornwall is Englands version of the deep south. Also in Plymouth you can see the mayflower steps, the real ones are inside a (PROPER ENGLISH) pub now so even better :vodka:. Also sample the local delicacy the pasty!

DONT , make a big deal about anyone smoking unless there doing it in a petrol station. Ever seen in bruges? :waggle:

edit ; oh and the national marine aquarium is pretty decent, biggest shark tank in europe. Though youve probably seen bigger in the US

Yes, a trip to Cornwall is a pre-requisite of coming to the UK. They're all related down there, and if you ask them nicely they will count up to 12 on their fingers for you and if you ask really nicely they might even show you their webbed feet (not that the Cornish are any more inbred than those from Norfolk ;) )

Oh yeah, gotta try proper Cider when you're over here. Not the *suitcase* served in most pubs but the turns-you-totally-insane-and-makes-you-blind proper Cider. In moderation, of course.

As to politeness, i've found most people in the US are considerable more polite than they are over here, and the standards of service in restaurants and shops tends to be better over the pond as well.

Roads. We drive on the correct side of the road over hear :lol: . Small thing, but you wouldn't believe the number of foreign tourists that just walk straight out into the road in front of you because they aren't looking the right way first. I've come far too close to collecting tourists on the front bumper when driving through Windsor in the summer on more occassions than I care to think of because of this.

Oh, and finally, 99% of problems can be sorted in the UK by "going for a pint" :)

Archived