Removing Paint from a Black Vest

ColDaz

Hey,

Somehow, through an act of God or some other manifest of an evil demon that is trying to make my life hard (damn you Descartes), I have very small patches of yellow paint of the back of my lovely new Blackhawk Tac-Vest, which is black.

No brownie points for figuring I'm extremely unhappy about this. My question is, how the hell can I get the stuff off?

I've tried scraping at it but I' sure thats just making ti worse, and I'm about to try soapy water and a sponge thing in the kitchen.

Any advice, much appreciated.

Daz

Soap & water is a great start. Hopefully it is water based and that should loosen it up. Spot treaters like "Spray & Wash" or "Shout" might help if it is stubborn. A good dishwashing soap like Palmolive has stuff in it that helps loosens grease.

If "soap & water" don't move it, then you have to consider the possiblity that it is an oil based paint. This gets trickier because any solvent might discolor the fabric. A light solvent is lighter fluid, close to what dry cleaners use although they use carbor tet a bunch. Naptha is another gentler solovent. MEK and toluene will probably move it, but the colateral damage is unknown. Good Luck!

Cheers!

Thank *Fruitcage* for that, almost all of it came off with just washing up liquid and water hot enough to burn me.

I've left it in the sun to dry, I'll see how it is later.

(wipes forehead)

Thanks for the speedy reply too.

Cheers guys, but all thats left are literally 2 or 3 spots about the size of the very end tip of a biro, which I'm sure I can live with.

I did think of dying it or using some shoe polish, but luckily it turned out ok.

Thanks for all the advice.

Archived