Cheap MGS3 1911

Apharmd

So I got a little money for Christmas to spend on some new guns. I bought a nice MP5, but I find myself wanting a pistol to substitute for my SOCOM, as it's a little heavy for extended use.

Since the 100th anniversary of the 1911 handgun is this year, I thought it might be a good idea to make a custom 1911, based on Snake's customized one from Metal Gear Solid 3.

I recall someone made one on these forums a few years back out of a WA 1911, but it was over £300. I don't have that much to play with, so I'm attempting to make a lower priced equivalent.

I saw the WE 1911 was going for a good price on WGC, which would be great as I'd prefer full metal for the gun, but I've heard that there are a few differences between the WE and TM models. Can anyone elaborate, and would these differences stop TM replacement parts (slide, barrel etc) fitting the WE?

Also, I'm having trouble finding the right type of slide. Is there a slide on the market that matches or closely resembles the MGS one?

post-459-0-31800600-1295004976_thumb.jpg

Another question:

I'm thinking of buying a Baby Hi-Capa to replace my current "backup" gun. I notice it has a "ring" hammer similar to the one the MGS3 1911 needs.

Can I swap the Hi-capa and 1911 hammers? I know it sounds a silly thing to ask, but I haven't much experience with actually modifying airsoft guns, don't know much about the Hi-capa and 1911 differences.

Don't bother with the WE then. The slides for one can't accept the tab on the slide that engage the sub-frame rail (part GM1-5) and the hammer/sear assembly is Hi-Capa spec. Mags (single stack models) are also their own design and TM mags will not fit in.

You can find the recipe here:

http://metalgear.wikia.com/wiki/M1911A1

If you want it spot on, there's no real cheap alternative because even the available parts require some form of modification that would be better suited for a machine shop to do (slide and frame strap serration, rear sight etc). If you just want one that looks like it, get an ARMY MEU, stick on a threaded barrel, polish the slide/controls/hammer/barrel, put wood grips. Done.

edit:

Ring hammers aren't directly compatible with 1911A1 grip safeties. You need a beavertail safety for it or grind away the area that the ring part hits when the hammer is cocked.

Thanks for the advice.

To be honest, I was pretty sure I couldn't make a perfect copy, but I figured I could make something similar that I could call mine.

So the slides won't work. Right, I'm not too bothered about the sights, but how about the threaded barrel and safety/slidelock parts? I think I could modify the original slide a little, but I'm wondering about the parts.

Archived