This is an introductory review of the SSI ML-8 lip light, also known as a 'Mike Lite'. (it is also my first product review, as this is more of an unusual product I felt it was a good idea to tell others about it)

Hands-free lighting is always useful to have in a skirmish, despite the availability of RIS torches and PEQ's with flash lights in them, I don't have an AEG with a RIS to which one could be attached. the SF helmet light looked like a good alternative, but I do not always wear a helmet when skirmishing. But I do normally wear my Cavalvy bowman-style headset, which is where this product comes into thing.

Made by Seitz Scientific Industries of Alabama (presumably therefore Berry Compliant if that's your thing) these are/were issued to various US military aircrew.

Pricewise this model seems to sell for between 40-50 USD depending where it is bought from, although the ML-21 with brighter green LED's comes in higher. It is available from several stateside aviation retailers and directly from SSI, although I purchased mine from eBay.

P1010001-6.jpg

It arrived in a clear bag containing the whole kit and a set of instructions. Mine was shipped in a USPS box, but the components feel like they can handle the rough and tumble of the postal system in an envelope, so the lack of a fancy box is, in my eyes, a good thing as it saved me some money.

P1010002-4.jpg

Contents:

AA battery holder

Light assembly

Sticky back heavy duty Velcro

2 Cable ties

1 extended mic screw (I couldn't use this, but some boom mics can take advantage of this extra attachment point)

1 Nylon pouch for the AA battery holder and some sticky back loop Velcro to attach it to your helmet/headset)

Assembly is quick and easy, simply clip the battery holder to the plug on the light's cable, apply the sticky back velcro to your mic and the light, run the cable tie through the channel on the light and over the mic. On some headsets the screw holding the mic onto the boom can be replaced with the extended version supplied through a hole on the protrusion on the side of the light. (I decided to put the second cable tie over this to provide some extra security)

Velcro the pouch onto your helmet/headset and then wrap the cable around the battery holder to length and insert. The cable is very long to allow it to reach around to the back of flight helmets, I did not need all of that length.

Usage:

Below is a photo showing the button on the back of the light unit. This can easily be activated by the lips or tongue, it can provide momentary light when pushed lightly or click permanent on and off. The momentary light is a feature often found on weapon lights and hand torches, but less often on headlights or helmet lights, it seems like a useful feature.

In a completely dark room it can function as an ordinary flash light would, and I imagine in a dark CQB game environment the momentary light feature could be put to effect as a dazzling device (and far more safely than something like a laser device) as the LED's are extremely bright, but due to the way they are recessed into the unit there is very little spill, it is a very directional light.

P1010010-3.jpg

The assembled unit:

P1010005-1.jpg

This photo shows the light in use illuminating an A4 pad from around 12-18 inches away, it provides enough light to see the whole page without much spill. When further from an object the pool of light is much bigger and can be used for looking around rooms.

P1010012-1.jpg

The ML-8 uses NVG green LED's, but SSI make models with red, white, IR and mixes of the LED's to suit different applications, although more complex lights are more expensive.

Overall I feel it is easily worth the money, as long as it isn't expected to perform like a weapon light or handheld torch. It's not one for using as a searchlight, but is perfect for event paperwork and basic lighting indoors.

If you have any questions I will try to answer them.

Edited by Mr. Jon