Converting PVS-5 NVGs into a Practical Device for Airsoft

skyler8158

I've had several people ask me about my night vision set up so I figured I'd post up about it...

pvs5a.jpg

pvs5b.jpg

pvs5c.jpg

nightfight1.jpg

lids.jpg

micha22.jpg

Disclosure: My teammate (guy on the right) is the one who did this. He would have to give the real details on conversion process, but here is the gist of it:

- PVS-5Cs, cannot be the A or B model, needs the Wilcox PVS-7/14 style objective lens. Stripe away everything but the tubes/lenses assemblies

- ANVIS LPBP, has to be rewired completely (turns out there is a circuit board inside, not as easy as he thought it was gonna be)

- N-Vision dual PVS-14 adapter, tube/lens assemblies slip right in.

- LEMO connector to match the LPBP one, solder power downleads from the tubes to it.

Unfortunately ebay plays a big part in getting the PVS5C, so each unit will cost a different amount.

My costs:

PVS5C - $1400 (overpaid, saw them go for $1000 weeks later)

ANVIS LPBP - $150 (underpaid, won an auction. Usually $250+)

LEMO connector - $50ish I believe

N-Vision dual PVS14 adapter - $475 (wilcox/norotos dovetail version; USGI rhino mount version is $100 cheaper)

So it was a little over $2000 for me, my teammate that did the same thing paid around $1500. Not cheap by any means, but still way less expensive than getting a PVS-15 or ANVIS set up.

Yeah definitely. NVGs are still a bit away for me since I'm not much of a night game guy (though NVGs do seem like a fun toy to play around with at night in my area). I just like technical projects, and this seems like quite the interesting one to do.

skyler8158

I'd like to just thank you for putting that info up.

Awesome project and excellent looking final results. How's the performance of the PVS-5 compared with Gen3 devices. I know some Gen2 can be very good. Plus the added benefit of depth perspective can't be overlooked

I've owned an ITT PVS-14 and a Sightowl Gen 2 unit in the past. The amplification and clarity is still better with the Gen 3 PVS-14 but this unit is the best gen 2 I'm ever seen. The Sightowl unit used PVS5 tubes but they were old, dirty, many hours on them, and using commercial lenses. This PVS5 was sitting in storage for the better part of two decades so the tubes have little to no hours on them and have milspec lenses.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived