First Build - MP5 DMR, Needing Opinions.

DSCAllDay

Alright that's fair then. This is why you should generally make a specified deal with mechanics instead of buying parts yourself. If you go to a different mechanic, they might tell you to buy new parts (because each mechanic does things his own way), and you're stuck with parts you can't use then.

Or the mechanic is better at sourcing the parts and can get it cheaper for you.

I generally agree that it's not a bad thing to know how a hobby toy works, but the time invested doesn't pay off in airsoft. If you don't want to leave it all to the mechanic, you should buy a couple of m4's and a bunch of SHS parts and go nuts with that instead. If you have multiple projects to toy with, you can always put one on the shelf until you find a new solution you have to try out.

I'd suggest starting out with M130 30RPS, then M100 30RPS, then M130 40RPS, etc.

And you test for pre engagement by firing auto through a chrono. If FPS dips at high rof, it needs more work. Always verify that whatever you buy doesn't have this problem. And don't let the mechanic give you a bs excuse.

If you want a killer highend MP5 that's not more experimental than functional, go for this instead:

14,4v

21:1

G&P M160 or equivalent winded motor.

M160 SS5

That should land you at around 35RPS M140 and have a nice balanced stress on the parts.

This is low enough that your mags will feed properly with heavy BB's.

I have a 60rps gun.

Yes it's fun.

No it's not very useful. It goes through mags so fast that laning properly becomes an issue. With a 100round mag it would be downright impossible!

It doesn't feed 0,40's very well at that rof either.

It's the kind of project you take on to push your own limits as a mechanic. It's not really something you'd buy as a customer.

Got it, when I, and if I ever start another build, I will listen to this. Thanks.

I agree that it doesnt pay off, I'm honestly trying to get this done and finished now. I am in essence really busy and have been wasting too much of my time here. I have no desire of teching my own guns. I dont even play very often! Haha. I have a tendency to want to control all the details, and I'm a pretty bad perfectionist. Thanks for that advice.

That sounds like a cool build. My plan was to use a 11.1v or even a 9.9v when I play more of a support role so I can use the TM highcycle drum mag, which feeds my tech's mp5 at 60rps. For this role, I would use .20's because I wouldnt really care about accuracy, more about getting more shots downrange, and the less weight would help the BB's feed quicker. For more "sniper" roles, I would use the modded micaps, fire .36's or .4's, use the 13.3 and do really short bursts. That was my plan.

Thanks again.

Well I wouldn't myself, as he's one of the most technically-minded people on here.

The only way you're going to get any confidence in customising AEGs is to play about with them mate. Don't spend all your money on high end parts on your first go as you could end up very disappointed.

Get some cheap stuff and play about with it first, then you will have more luck putting your theories into practice on more difficult stuff.

All right. I'm not going to do the tech work though. And I have no desire nor time to actually become a techie. :/

Thanks for your advice.

Just because a mechanic has managed to get the parts together does not mean that another will be able to.

I will re-iterate what jal3 has said. Airsoft parts NEVER just work together. They just don't. You don't just drop a part in and reap the benefits. Every part needs to be tuned, improved, modified. And there is no guide to tell you what to do - there is only intuition, logic and experience.

Firstly, about the hop rubber - the floss mod only solves one issue - air leaking out of the back of the rubber. Blow-by is something different - it forces the rubber's lips apart and leaks out of the front instead. Floss mod does not help with this, in fact sometimes makes it worse! The POINT of the rhop is primarily to get the best of both worlds - hard outer and the R-hop's consistency as a contact surface.

Your parts list is mostly fine, yes, but the parts will not just fit together. You need to be able to diagnose and deal with each issue, one at a time.

Soooo.. Start small! buy a set of SHS or Lonex 13:1s first, if you want something that high speed. Better yet, start with a stock rifle and see what methods you can use to tune it. See what effects an 11.1 has vs a 7.4. Hell, learn to shim! And I don't say that in a patronizing way, I have been working on rifles for 3 years now I think, I still change my shimming technique and tolerances with every build I do! And I still have not settled on a 'standard' to gauge my work to. Currently I am down to 0.01mm increments!

Yes, work towards this setup as a goal, but understand that you seem to be approaching it from a lego-build point of view, and lego builds simply don't work. If you start by actually using and skirmishing your rifle, you will find that you start to appreciate the work that goes into upgrading it and the actually understand the intricacies of why each part is good. All I can guarantee is if you fully strip your rifle and start scratch-building, then you will end up with a mess, and by that point most people would have become tired of answering any questions as you've asked so many which you could have found out yourself.

In short, what everyone else said - do some work, ideally on a stock gun and maybe when you get how that works, move on in one direction, rather than all/no directions as you are now...

All right. I'm not going to do the tech work though. And I have no desire nor time to actually become a techie. :/

Right, so if you are giving it to an ASM mechanic to work on, just give him some specs and leave him to it :huh: I now no longer see the point of this thread at all, other than 'look at how much money I have'. What is your goal, sir?

Just because a mechanic has managed to get the parts together does not mean that another will be able to.

I will re-iterate what jal3 has said. Airsoft parts NEVER just work together. They just don't. You don't just drop a part in and reap the benefits. Every part needs to be tuned, improved, modified. And there is no guide to tell you what to do - there is only intuition, logic and experience.

Firstly, about the hop rubber - the floss mod only solves one issue - air leaking out of the back of the rubber. Blow-by is something different - it forces the rubber's lips apart and leaks out of the front instead. Floss mod does not help with this, in fact sometimes makes it worse! The POINT of the rhop is primarily to get the best of both worlds - hard outer and the R-hop's consistency as a contact surface.

Your parts list is mostly fine, yes, but the parts will not just fit together. You need to be able to diagnose and deal with each issue, one at a time.

Soooo.. Start small! buy a set of SHS or Lonex 13:1s first, if you want something that high speed. Better yet, start with a stock rifle and see what methods you can use to tune it. See what effects an 11.1 has vs a 7.4. Hell, learn to shim! And I don't say that in a patronizing way, I have been working on rifles for 3 years now I think, I still change my shimming technique and tolerances with every build I do! And I still have not settled on a 'standard' to gauge my work to. Currently I am down to 0.01mm increments!

Yes, work towards this setup as a goal, but understand that you seem to be approaching it from a lego-build point of view, and lego builds simply don't work. If you start by actually using and skirmishing your rifle, you will find that you start to appreciate the work that goes into upgrading it and the actually understand the intricacies of why each part is good. All I can guarantee is if you fully strip your rifle and start scratch-building, then you will end up with a mess, and by that point most people would have become tired of answering any questions as you've asked so many which you could have found out yourself.

In short, what everyone else said - do some work, ideally on a stock gun and maybe when you get how that works, move on in one direction, rather than all/no directions as you are now...

[/font][/color]

Right, so if you are giving it to an ASM mechanic to work on, just give him some specs and leave him to it :huh: I now no longer see the point of this thread at all, other than 'look at how much money I have'. What is your goal, sir?

Thanks for the info about the hop up.

And I have this because I care about what goes in my gun, I wanted it to be at the reasonable top of line. I dont want to just give the tech specs, and let him do his job because I'm a firm believer in substance, and the quality of parts; the same reason why I try not to buy PTS or ACM stuff, sure the difference between real steel and ACM isnt much of a difference, but it is a difference none the less, and my knowledge of this makes the difference. Also, I believe that two heads are better than one, and four heads are better than 2 and each person has their own opinions and reasons for them. If I stuck with only 1 tech, and I never went to others on their opinion, I would have never even known about the other options. As I have iterated before, I have different goals then when I first started the project, and my tech is missing, thus the further need to crowdsource this.

I have found a different tech, and now am discussing this with him privately.

Also I have a bad tendency to be very perfectionist, and wanting to plan every detail out, even though I'm not building it! Seems strange but I'm like that, unfortunately. :P

Ask 4 opinions online and get 16 answers.

Alot of things in airsoft have perceived quality, many people rate systema upgrade parts where as the bits I have used have been borderline junk. Used a £80 hi torque motor that is supposed to be good, but it wasn't noticeably better than a JG M93 high torque. In other words high £££/$$$ does not equate to high quality in airsoft. There is a hell of a lot of expensive rubbish for sale.

Ask 4 opinions online and get 16 answers.

Alot of things in airsoft have perceived quality, many people rate systema upgrade parts where as the bits I have used have been borderline junk. Used a £80 hi torque motor that is supposed to be good, but it wasn't noticeably better than a JG M93 high torque. In other words high £££/$$$ does not equate to high quality in airsoft. There is a hell of a lot of expensive rubbish for sale.

Agreed. Thanks. And haha about the systems parts. I used to be a fan boy before this project, the preliminary research made me feel ashamed! xD

Archived