Mounting a Night Vision Monocular on to a Rail?

Captain Leisure

Right - I'm not taking this too seriously. Just a bit of fun. I did read the excellent NVD guide on here but there was a lot more info than I need.

I've got a 3x NV Monocular that I bought from Aldi a couple of years ago. It actually works pretty well and I've used it for badger watching, dogging etc. It has an IR emitter too.

I'd like to fit it onto my M4 along with a laser for aiming. The NVD has a mount on the base for attaching to a camera tripod so is there a mount of some sort that can screw into hole and then clamp on to a rail?

That's true - Google is my friend.

That G&P kit looks great but far too much for me.

I found this nifty mount for £15 http://www.actioncameras.co.uk/drift-picatinny-rail-mount?gclid=COjtg4OEqLsCFUflwgod2k4A8w and then on youtube I found a bloke mounting a camera to his AR15 (!) using a rail mounted QR sling swivel and a 1/4" bolt http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AffLgYzcnzs

which would cost me around a fiver to do. He also points out that if he has to use the AR15 for "home defense purposes" he'll have a video of it but there you go.........

I modded one to fit years ago. Bought a rail adaptor thingy cheap off eBay, and cable tied/milliput-ed it to the rail. I also cut grooves into the sight for a more stable fit.

It co-witnessed to my M4 front sight nicely, so lack of reticule wasn't a problem.

I'll try and find links or pics and add them here for you :)

Here, still got it saved!

dsc02856a.jpg

There's a few more if you're interested. Not pretty, but worked like a champ :)

Edit, it worked with the aimpoint (copy), but I didn't really use it as the aimpoint didn't have a dedicated NV function.

I think the mount I got was for an aimpoint too, and was in 2 sections. I just binned the top half as I didn't need it.

OK I got on DealXtreme and ordered this:

sku_5833_1.jpg

And this:

sku_230506_1.jpg

And this:

sku_168124_1.jpg

All for a grand total of less than ten quid.

I don't need the M4 handle rail but it's a nice option.

Figure I can take the middle bit out of the bipod mount and put the tripod screw through it.

I'll put up pics once it's all arrived.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It actually works surprisingly well.

The 3x Monocular gives you a pretty good view and when you hit the laser switch a very bright dot of light appears in the middle of the image. The BBs then strike on that dot - or close enough.

Only problem is, you can't see the BBs in flight. Using white ones anyway,

I'll try and get a pic of the view through the sight.

Archived