WE416 Magazine Issue - This is really odd.

bankz5152

Right chaps, im having a rather odd issue I hope someone can help solve.

I have a WE416 - Latest generation - Only mods are TB & new rubber.

The V2 mag it came with works perfectly and another mag I built from V2 innards, spare parts and bought some open bolt mag tops. This magazine also works perfectly.

Heres where things get odd. I also have 3 ex-closed bolt magazines I converted to Open Bolt using the same mag tops as above. None of these 3 magazines will fit in my 416. Very sticky to get in and will not lock in, its asthough they are getting stuck on somthing inside. What I have no idea. However I also have a open bolt M4 to test things with, 2 of the magazines fit the M4 and work perfectly. One magazine does not fit, same issue as the 416.

I have a load of spare shells as well, ive switched a few of them around and still they dont fit.

One thing I have noticed is on the mag tops there is some damaged where it looks like its hitting the botton part of the hop unit. So in light of this I sanded down the front face of the mag top back to where the damage is. Still does not fit.

Tried the shells on their own, they do fit perfectly. I cant seem to see any difference between the mags that work and the mags that dont.

Anyone got any idea as to why this is happening?

I decided this was not going to defeat me. Went back and had another go. It appears to be a mixture of the mags and the hop unit itself.

Ive filed a little of the hop unit and curved the edges. Most the mags fit now, but my V2 ones are slightly looser, easily solved with a little electrical tape. Ive also started to file some material off the front of the magazines that still wouldnt fit. Slowly but surely they are fitting better and better.

No idea why this happens with some and not others or why it works in an M4 but not a 416. Very odd indeed.

Gah! Should have waited for more opinions before touching a file to the gun. But at least it's working now.

Problem is your ill fitting mags are sitting slightly too far forward. Not the fault of the mag shell but the innards. Either your previous sealant fix is slightly jutting out the back (happened to me before from using way too much sealant), pushing the whole innards forward relative to the shell or the mag tops are doing the same from a slight difference in tolerance. You could have filed the high pounts at the back of the mag innards or top (which ever was causing interference) so the good mags would have remained nice and snug and the chamber untouched. If you filed off too much from the face, the previously good fitting mags may cause feeding problems.

Cant edit -

Of course RC comes to the rescue. lol. I expect that is the issue but odd still. These mags are only really for an 'in the mean time' thing until I get V2 innards. So going to dremmel the front of the sticky mags back until the fit. Then add some electrical tape round the top of the V2s. Help me ID them aswell.

• 8 months later...

i hope this has been resolved ... but if not ... I had the same problem when I converted my SCAR from closed to open ... there is a small rubber oring where the gas exits the mag which was required for the old feed lips, this needs to be removed, then put the new open bolt mag lips on

I did. It was because the tolerences in the 416 are much higher than the SCAR/M4 ime better built.

The problem came from where i had to use tiger seal to seal the back plates on it added about 1mm to the width of the internal mag and caused it to fit poorly. Sanded down some of the back plate and hey presto perfect fit.

On my phone my spelling will suck

Archived