Tanaka S.A.A Accuracy Issues

Toast-er

Hi all,

After months of indecision I finally convinced myself to bite the bullet and bought a Single Action Army. It's a superb bit of kit and seems to be really well put together. Mucking around with it in the house all seemed well.

However when trying it out at the firing range of my local site I noticed it had a bit of a left hook. The bb's will fly straight for maybe 7-10 meters then DRASTICALLY fly to the left. The bb's literally almost make a 90 degree turn. If I had the patience to master it there would definitely be some very surprised people wondering how they are getting taken out by a guy hiding round the corner!

I have no idea how to take it apart to have a look at the hop/barrel and to be honest I'm a little apprehensive about taking it apart. Had a look on Google and can find no tutorials/videos or threads about dis-assembly. I'm hoping it's something simple like the barrel has turned in relation to the body and is hopping the bb's to the left but I found someone mentioning that the o-rings in the cylinder may be to blame for poor accuracy?

Before I dive into it is there any tips/things to look out for (small springs flying out for example) or is it all pretty straight forwards?

Any and all help appreciated.

Cheers.

Toast.

Before you go into it, try and look at the hop rubber if it's physically damaged or lop sided or if there are burs in the barrel. If those seem ok what you can try is get a cleaning rod with a dry patch of tissue that's slightly snug in the barrel. Put it in the barrel like normal and when you get to the hop rubber, turn it gently to the right about half a turn then pull the cleaning rod straight out. Blow out any loose fibers then check to see if that's affected your hop issue.

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers for the reply. Couldn't see any physical damage to the hop rubber or any indication of imperfections in the barrel. Took your advice about trying to turn the hop rubber with a cleaning rod. Unfortunately this had no effect on the curve.

Finally struck up the courage to take the front end off. Had the outer barrel and inner barrel apart. Cleaned the inner barrel up and properly inspected the hop rubber and as far as I can tell the faults not being caused from there. Reassembled everything and it was shooting nice and true in the morning however the curve issue came back after refilling the cylinder with gas throughout the course of the afternoon.

Should have mentioned in the initial post but the version I have is the detachable cylinder one. I normally take the cylinder out to top it up with gas. Could it be some sort of cylinder timing issue?

It's clear enough if it's so bad that the bolt doesn't even engage into the cylinder notches. Otherwise you'll need to peer down your barrel at the chambered bb. First make sure you have all the gas out or wear eye protection. Load the cylinder with bbs then cock the gun very slowly to try and purposely induce slack on the cylinder. Without ever touching the cylinder, look down the barrel with a torch and see if the bb isn't perfectly lined up. If it's late you should see a darkened crescent moon on the left hand side of the bb. To fix it you'll need to build up material on the hand (super glue/epoxy on a strip of aluminum or GI sheet) and fine tune with a file then polish.

Archived