P90 Hicaps

Hissing_Sid

Actually, I might have answers rather than questions.

I just bought a couple of P90 hicaps off Joeking27 and they look and sound a LOT different to the pair that I already own.

My previous 2 have a very "soft" opaque finish. You can't see the internal clockwork mechanism at all. They're made from transparent yellow plastic but the finish that's been applied to the plastic makes them impossible to see through.

In use, they wind very differently too. Mine are very "clattery". They make all sorts of click-clacking noises as they wind. Joes made more of a Tick-Tick noise.

I can see the internals of Joes mags very clearly and, although I can barely make out the gubbins inside mine, they look to be the same mechanism, from what I can see. Maybe they're just made from different materials or something, accounting for the different sound?

Anyway, I dunno if Joe had much trouble with these mags but my own two have always been reasonable.

Be interesting to see if Joes are significantly better or worse.

Anyway, it seems that there ARE definately different versions of the P90 mag available. Maybe that accounts for the inconsistant feedback people get about how the mags function?

Yeah there probably are different versions of the hicaps. Take the AUG

for example:

Many of the online pics of its hicap show that its clearly transparent but

When i went to my local airsoft shop, it was BLACK!

Personally i had Joe's type they worked fine, never really had a problem

with them. After every time i used them I'd spray a bit of lube into them.

Yep ,

The other cause of a problem would be overfilling the mags or using bbs heavier than .25 which when full could be heavier than the spring is designed for and jam .

I spoke to AA about the hicap mags and they suggested .20 and filling to just under max - the mags don't rattle due to the spring and plunger .

i think maybe marui have changed something in the p90 hicap in the last 18 months or so, the hicap my P90 came with (a2 starter kit) was not that good at all,finally it would only feed about 20-30 rounds per winding, but the three I bought so my brother could use it work fine.

Maybe it's bad apples. I know in theory the P90 mags are supposed to be "jam free", but I think the reality (based on stories) is that they jam easily as they get old. Especially if you're like me and you drop stuff all the time and bang it around.

Why not used standard caps? they feed flawlessly (the whole reason I primarily use standards) and they look SOOOO cool. I mean seriously... damn!

Aaron

One reason why people don't use standards is because they are expensive. Another is because the P90 magazine is huge. Another is that the P90 high cap carries about 4 1/4 times as many rounds as the P90 standard.

I don't think TM released the P90 magazine thinking it will be jam free. Mine came with instructions that told me how to fix a jam, by smacking the magazine. The main cause of the jamming is the BB follower. It puts pressure on the BBs, making them unable to feed sometimes. It's like having a BB bottle with a nozzle on it. Hold it upside down and a few will come out, but you have to shake it to keep the flow of BBs.

Honestly, to me it's worth the extra money to buy standard caps. And there are vests that can carry a few of them, not to mention leg rigs. I have some horror stories of not having the mag wound when I needed it most, so I only trust my airsoft "life" to standards, just for the flawless feeding. And I'm not too heavy on the trigger, so it works fine for me. Not to mention that I like the realism. I usually run standards, if not low caps (I have 10 star 30rd mags for my M4) when I'm feeling ballsy. I usually do 5rd bursts, or semi shots. Never spray and pray. and the P90 is a CQB gun, so standards are better just for the experience. Outdoors I can understand wanting a hi-cap. But for all the problems, I think it's better just to trust a good old fashioned spring to load the bbs.

Of course this is all up to the individual player, and what they are comfortable with. And can afford.

Aaron

There really aren't any vests that hold P90 mags comfortably. You can get a leg rig, but that only holds 2 mags. I can hold 8 AK47 mags in my vest alone. STAR "real" cap magazines aren't that realistic since their real steel counterparts aren't made of such cheap and lightweight plastic.

And I'm not a huge hicap person. I own 2 hicaps for the 4 AEGs I own. No hicaps for my Ak47, which is my primary AEG. Only midcaps. I was simply answering your question. ;)

Archived