Boot Camp

Butter18c

As some of you may know, I am in the US Naval Sea Cadets, a program for people 14 to 18 who are interested in joining the military. This program even offers advanced rating placements for when you join the military. Well, to get to the next rank, you have to complete bootcamp, which is actually very similar to real boot, except its only 2 weeks instead of 6 or 8. It was quite an experience. Its a very long story if I explain everything that happened, but I will try to keep it to just some basic explanation of what goes on incase anyone is interested in joining. I am also open to questions. Remember, this is similar to real Navy boot. Anyways, here we go. My boot was in Boise, Idaho where everyday it got to be around 100 degrees in the afternoon, and 60 in the morning. We did basic things, like marksmanship trials, swimming test, physical test, museums, and airfields. Everyday it was PT at 5 in the morning until about 6:30 when breakfast was. Then it was back to the barracks for a cold 20 second shower, and then onto marching drills and classes on basic things. Lunch was at about 12:30, then back to the barracks to cleanup and then maybe some other activety. Evening Chow at 6:30, then usually "The Pitt", which was a volleyball court where we did extreme PT. Square away time at 8:00, and then getting ready for bed from 9:00 until 10:00 when we went to bed. We each had a 1 hour watch consisting of 2 people every night, so we always had only about 5 hours of sleep. This was about a basic day. Every once and a while we would get a special treat, like when someone thought it would be a good idea to mock some Canadian exchange cadets. I was super ###### at this guy becuase of two reasons. 1: the canadians were the nicest people. 2: we had to spend 3 hours in the Pitt. Or when we had the crucible. 10 hours of PT and problem solving on about 5 hours of sleep in the last 2 days. Anyways, any questions, and I'd be glad to answer. If your interested and your in the US, try it out. There is no cost to go there for a couple drills

That sounds awesome. How old are you? What did you do for the PT as well?

After i finish sixth form i want to join the military. I havn't decided what yet though, may just join the army, but i would really want to be a Royal Marine. Just need to get my fitness levels up a lot, but i have 2 years and ive started now so it shouldn't be to hard to get to a high fitness level by the time i start.

I don't think they have anything like that over here in the UK, which kinda sucks really.

Mayesey

ain't you guys heard of the junior leaders course? maybe its just an air training corps thing, but its an 8-12 month course taken over weekends, in which your basically taught to the level approaching a soldier with a leaning towards officer training. culminating in you planning an operation against a target in which you have everything the RAF Reg have at their disposal upto and including air support, when a mate did it his team was dropped by merlin with full kit L85A2's dummy anti-tank kit etc and had harriers on call for the final assault (i thought it sounded far fetched too then i saw the pictures)

Cheers

Mig

I did something like you did.

It was the academy for the explorers with the police department. As you all know, all police departments are para-military. So the academy was fun and all. We had to do PT every other day, but for 2 hours. Every day we marched for 2 or 3 hours. And we had 8 hours of classes almost every day.

And we also did the "pride run" which I think was 3 miles, or a little more.

It was all worth it though.

Especially watching the bomb squad blow 1.5lbs of high edxplosives, and us only being 100 feet away. *awsome*

mayesay, I am 15 and we did all the basics for morning PT, ie: situps, pushups, jumping jacks, a run, stretching. It wasnt hard. But for the Pitt, we did six inches, where you have to lie on your back with your feet six inches in the air and hold it. Not that hard, except when you have combat boots on. Dead cockroaches, which is exactly how it sounds. Swimmers, where you lie on your belly, and start swimming out of water, which is really hard. Couple others too.

And you do have to leave when your 18. The cool thing is that if you enter the military after this, you can enter at an advanced paygrade, like an E-3 instead of E-1

After i finish sixth form i want to join the military. I havn't decided what yet though, may just join the army, but i would really want to be a Royal Marine. Just need to get my fitness levels up a lot, but i have 2 years and ive started now so it shouldn't be to hard to get to a high fitness level by the time i start.

Have you worked out a training regime yet? If not theres one on the para section of the army website, worth a look.

Para training programme

As the website says, this is only a minimum fitness standard and obviously more needs to be added.

I've started, but theres still a long way to go :(

yes they are all the same (around about) i had to do i mile and a half in 13m.15s

when i started i done it in around 15m but now i do it in 9.22 so you get better but when you do your B.P.F.A / R.S.C people run it with you and you find you will do it faster i done it in 9 flat and im not a light lad some were well in front of me.

make sure you have your rest days, you can over do it a damage yourself without knowing you have.

Archived