Western Arms Wilson Combat Professional Bobtail

Bobtail_left_480_03.jpg

Okay, let's begin with a little factoid...there is NO Wilson Combat Professional Bobtail pistol in real steel. I could still be wrong and I do hope someone can set me right coz I searched in the Wilson Combat website and in the websites and forums of real steel magazines...nada, zilch, zero. I was hoping to get some background info for this review but came up empty which leads me to the abovementioned conclusion.

So if it does not exist where did Western Arms get the design to replicate?

The entire story and review HERE.

Note: Astute detective work by Spetsnaz over at filairsoft.com has uncovered evidence proving the EXISTENCE of this variant and validated the genesis theorized in the article. The review now includes links to real steel references provided by Spetsnaz. THANK YOU comrade Spetsnaz!!! :D

I thought I'd add a little bit to the Western Arms and Wilson Combat confusion as well. Although I'm not quite sure if it applies here.

I've read in some forums that the Western Arms Wilson Combat FBI Trial pistol was a false replication of a gun that did not exist. Well, it turns out that the Wilson FBI Trial pistol does in fact exist because of the FBI Trials that took place in (I'm guessing) 1996. Wilson Combat, along with Springfield and other 1911 makers submitted pistols for their trials, but ultimately, Springfield ended up winning the contract with the FBI, for reasons I'm not quite sure of. It is indeed a true replication of a Wilson Combat that wasn't exactly available to civilians.

Some of the information was provided by Mr. May of Wilson Combat.

I bought this gun(bobtail) 6-7 weeks ago with a MARSOC. I love it! It fits supurbly in my hands and has great wieght to it. I use it more than my MARSOC. Nice job on the review.

Ahhhh...the MARSOC....I envy you sir. An airsoft afficionado after me own heart. :D That replica of the KIMBER ICQB MUSOC/Warrior is a lovely piece of work. Would've bought one to if I did not own a WA MEU already.

To say that you use the BOBTAIL more than the MARSOC is a compliment indeed coz the MARSOC is no slouch. And, yes, the grip is really rather exceptional. Pointability is excellent with the BOBTAIL.

Glad you enjoyed the review and thank you for the kind words. :D

I thought I'd add a little bit to the Western Arms and Wilson Combat confusion as well. Although I'm not quite sure if it applies here.

I've read in some forums that the Western Arms Wilson Combat FBI Trial pistol was a false replication of a gun that did not exist. Well, it turns out that the Wilson FBI Trial pistol does in fact exist because of the FBI Trials that took place in (I'm guessing) 1996. Wilson Combat, along with Springfield and other 1911 makers submitted pistols for their trials, but ultimately, Springfield ended up winning the contract with the FBI, for reasons I'm not quite sure of. It is indeed a true replication of a Wilson Combat that wasn't exactly available to civilians.

Some of the information was provided by Mr. May of Wilson Combat.

Hehehe...thank you for the added, uh, confusion :blink::D

I did get a chance to correspond with Mr. May of Wilson Combat while doing the review. Sadly, his reply was less than "informative" and came after I had published the review. He did state that they made some versions for customers but I had to track down the details of the gun's origins myself. I have to admit that that was the fun part so in a way I do owe Mr. May a debt of gratitude. :D

• 4 weeks later...

I was under the impression that the bobbed tail cut is a custom modification that can be done to all 1911's.

I forget who but some guy started doing it. I either read an article on it on line or in a gun mag while buying food at the local 7eleven.

Ill try to find it on line.

ahhh reading farther into the review it explains where the bobtail came from.

Edited by urbandork