what kind of boost in FPS should I expect?

Lightning10

I'm gonna get myself a UTG MP5 for Christmas and am also gonna get upgrades to get it around 300 FPS. Every forum I look at and every store I call recommends a different thing. Some say to just buy a tightbore, better piston head, and do a rewiring job, and that'll do the trick. Some say to go with either the M100 or PDI 120% spring and a rewiring job. others yet say to possibly use an M4 tightbore and put a suppressor over it. I do not no what to think, so I am calling on you guys again for some help. if you could either tell me what upgrades I should do to reach 300 FPS, give me maybe an approximation of what kind of boost I should expect in FPS from different parts, or both of these things, would be great. thanks for any help you can give :)

Lightning

well, my max budget is $200, so getting a new motor won't work. sorry for not stating that fact originally. My options that I'm considering are:

1) just the spring (Some say the V2.0 can pull back the spring, others say it can'y, so I'm not sure)

2) spring and rewiring job

3) tightbore and good piston head

also, I don't need to be at exactly 300 FPS, anything from 280-310 FPS would be fine.

Lightning

From what I gather, including my own experience, the UTG MP5 shoots about 260 stock, with decent compression, which out of the box is not guaranteed. The best thing you can do without dumping money into it would be to drop a new o-ring in and get some good grease in the cylinder.

With stock everything, in good working order the gun should be able to turn consistently 260-270. If you want to get more FPS then a spring would be in order, but you will need to upgrade the wiring, external to the gearbox at a minimum. The motor has no problems pulling an M100, as long as the wiring is upgraded and your battery is strong. I would suggest a 9.6v battery unless you really spend some time inside the gearbox and get it smooth as silk, along with internal wiring upgrades.

Overall, I had mine topping 300 with the M100 spring, but really did not like how "desperate" the gearbox sounded. I put my stock spring back in, ported my piston head, replaced the o-ring, and rewired the external wiring and am getting in the mid 260s with a fantastic rate of fire. It will fire all day at this with no stress. I found that the added FPS really did not offer all that much more range (maybe 10-15 feet), and I would much rather have a gun that always works at 100' over a gun that mostly works at 115'.

The UTG is a solid performer, especially for entry level skirmish and CQB, but if you are looking at getting an all out blaster that rivals the big boys you may want to just save the $100, add a couple more and get an M4/M16 with all the upgrades.

The utg seems nice, but if you want to get decent fps then you will need to spend some money. I would recomend getting the src m4 if you have a small budget, unless you are really into mp5's. 

I don't know about this one. The UTG comes with 2 Hi-Caps, Battery, Sling, and both stocks for $100. The SRC comes with a mag, that's it. It claims 320FPS, but has anyone confirmed that? And for $200, I would spend the extra $60 and go with an ICS!

As a side note, the ICS claims 360, but I think that is a bit of an exaggeration. About 300 is where everyones seems to settle after a bit, and the split gearbox really makes for some fantastic access to easy upgrades!

What is the difference betweeninternal and external wiring, killobite? sorry, but I've never upgraded a gun before, and want to get this right. Also, would i be able to get to at least 280 just by installing a better pison head, tightbore, and o-ring? Some say that these parts make little difference, but others say that together, i can get to 300 FPS with these 3 parts. Is this true or a bunch of rubbish?

Lightnng

Listen dude, you should save up and get a CA or ICS for what you want this gun to do.

Its livk asking a corvette to beat a enzo to 60 mph. Not gonna happen with out spending a lot of money on the corvette. And for a bit more you could have bought an enzo. ;)

Although it is your money. I would just put new bushings, shims, wiring, and the spring in it and see how it holds up. It should be find for a good bit. But when it breaks and you have to buy more parts for it you will ask your self, why couldn't I be more patient and have gotten the CA or ICS and saved this hassle.

:Dr_Evil:

What is the difference betweeninternal and external wiring, killobite? sorry, but I've never upgraded a gun before, and want to get this right. Also, would i be able to get to at least 280 just by installing a better pison head, tightbore, and o-ring? Some say that these parts make little difference, but others say that together, i can get to 300 FPS with these 3 parts. Is this true or a bunch of rubbish?

Lightnng

By external wiring I am talking about the wiring that runs from the outside of the gearbox to the battery. The stock wiring is a little less than perfect and by replacing just the stuff that is outside the gearbox things get much better. If you are really looking at driving a bigger spring the wiring inside the gearbox that is attached to the "trigger" and that goes down to the motor should probably be replaced as well.

As for the upgrades, I would imagine that getting a better piston head, and maybe cylinder head along with a tight bore, not to mention the o-ring, would probably push you into the 280s pretty well. I am 100% stock except for the new o-ring and the external wiring and I get a SOLID high 260s. By just putting a new piston head in that has the little metal backing therefore compressing the spring just that extra half an inch I would imagine the FPS going up 5 - 10, then add the tightbore and you should be there!

I might have to pick myself up a tight bore and give it a whirl, I think my local Jungle Toy has a fairly inexpensive one and that is an easy install.

[EDIT] Oh, I forgot to mention, I do have a chrono and I have been having a great time with my different guns doing different things over the last week that I have had it.. It really is worth the $60 to get one, it is great to get "proof" of what you are doing and how it is affecting performance.

thanks very much, killobite, +1. :)

Trigger_Happy10, I already stated that i only had $200 to spend, so i can't get an ICS or CA. This is my one and only Christmas present this year, as it will use all of my budget. i have $200-225 on my budget. ICS guns run over that much just for the gun, let alone the battery, charger, etc. So I'm just gonna get the UTG, and do the upgrades Killobite recomended, as that'll keep me within my budget.

question tho- how much more FPS will a 6.03 barrel get over a 6.04 barrel? is the difference enough to be worth the extra money?

lightning

Maybe worth mentioning that apparently UTG bushes and gear spindles are a different size to standard Marui ones which means you won't be able to swap them for metal ones.

If this is correct then you're gonna end up tossing your gun in the trash within a couple of months of upgrading the spring.

As a side note, the ICS claims 360, but I think that is a bit of an exaggeration.  About 300 is where everyones seems to settle after a bit, and the split gearbox really makes for some fantastic access to easy upgrades!

I dunno, my American market ICS MP5A4 throws 'em at about 345-350. I did stick a tightbore in it, though - I don't know what effect that may have had.

Sid is right. To replace the UTG bushings, you have to replace the gears too. Though I believe there was a thread somewhere on this board earlier this week with links to a place were you can purchase bushings. If so, you could possibly just pull out the calipers, measure everyting, and order the bushings to the exact specification.

Check out Static_Zero's page in General Discussion. It should have everything you're looking for in there.

Archived