TM P90TR firing to the right, despite adjustments

ColDaz

Hi,

I already have a P90RD which I have skirmished with several times, so I do have some experiences with these AEGs.

I recently also bought a P90TR. I haven't skirmished with it as of yet.

As you may have seen in the 'Stargate Loadouts' picture thread, I have just bought and attached a scope to it.

Using the iron sights, I never noticed that the bbs fired tend to curve to the right.

Now I have the scope mounted, I can see quite clearly that at roughly 15 feet (the distance I shot at the target from in my garden) the shots curve about 5-10cm to the right.

I adjusted the hop-up to get it to the height of the crosshair, and then adjusted the scope to be as close as I could get to the centre line of the gun (where it should shoot).

It still curves to the right, and when firing you can plainly see that they curve and it wasn't a badly adjusted scope.

I did think to take off the reciever and I think it might be possible that the hop-up may have been twisted slightly to the right, which may have resulted in the curve.

Is this likely?

There is some play with the hop up mechanism and I've put it back on so it is twisted a little to the left.

I'll see how this affects performance, but my battery died half way through a mag when I was testing earlier, so have to wait for that.

Any help or advice is much appreciated.

Well, first thing, I think your best bet is to take the scope off and set it up using iron sights.

I know the TR iron sights are awful and you might be best holding the gun at waist height and just looking where the BBs are going. Short f/a bursts are best for this.

Also, try winding the hop up all the way on and all the way off. If this affects the lateral aim you know the problem is related to the hop-up.

I know it's not very hi-tech but I've often found that scope mounts don't fit squarely or the scope, itself, can't be zeroed so, by trying to set the gun using a scope, all you're doing is adding an extra layer of confusion.

What you can do is bung the scope on a different gun (which you know is shooting straight) and adjust the scope to suit that gun.

At least that will verify that the scope can be set properly. That will probably prove that the scope and its mount are fine.

You still can't bung it back on the TR and assume it'll be fine (unfortunately) cos there's a small chance that the receiver or rail might not be aligned correctly.

That's the worst-case scenario. Not likely to be that bad really.

The P90 receiver is VERY easy to strip.

Remove mag.

Press in catch.

Slide receiver forward.

Press hop-up forward.

Rotate 90 degrees (I forget which way).

Pull inner barrel and hop-up out of receiver.

At this point, have a look and see if the hop up is sticking down apparently centrally in the top of the barrel.

Back the hop-up off and check it isn't ripped or distorted.

Clean the barrel first using some silicone spray and then mop it out with dry tissue.

the hop-up IS affecting lateral aim but looks to be in good condition then the problem is probably the bucking and it'll need replacing.

Once you've got the gun shooting straight with the iron sights THEN bung the scope on and zero it.

Don't simply adjust the scope to the right to follow the skewed path of the BBs.

Right.

First, thanks for the advice.

Second, an update. I stripped the gun (before reading this, sorry) and rotated the hop-up. I never got to test this though, as the mech/gear/whatever jammed.

I removed it from the back, and a part underneath where the two metal bits connect to make the gun fire was jammed. I unjammed it and lubed it, and the gun fires alright now.

Still, the curving.

I'll try what you suggest with the iron sights and the hop-up.

I've had the scope mounted on an ICS M4, which I know shoots straight as ... a very straight thing. It was fine on that.

I'll see what happens when the hop-up is adjusted, and later on try the scope again.

Thanks Hissing Sid, as always you are of great help.

Archived