KSC Mk23 Magazine leaking during filling

HaVoC

Just got my second-hand UNCo Custom KSC Mk23 3rd Phase, and I'm in love.

However, I have one problem - the mag gives me frostbite when filling! :P

I press the nozzle to the valve as usual, all inverted etc, no problems there.

It takes gas fine, and holds it with no leaks, but loads of gas sprays out from around the fill valve during the filling process. I mean, it goes frickin' EVERYWHERE, including all over my hand...

Gas efficiency of this gun seems to be down on my others - partially due to the high-slow valve, I suspect (I'm getting about 20 shots per 'fill'), but the mag may not actually be filling up properly either.

So, anyone have any ideas how to stop this 'leakage' if you can call it that? I've tried the same gas can with a different magazine for a different gun, I've switched fill valves with another one from a USP Compact (the same valve), I've tried filling it with another can of gas (Abbey Ultra rather than HFC Green), and I've tried removing the valve and wrapping it in LOADS of PTFE tape to seal the outside, and I've not been able to solve/reproduce the problem.

Just got my second-hand UNCo Custom KSC Mk23 3rd Phase, and I'm in love.

However, I have one problem - the mag gives me frostbite when filling! :P

I press the nozzle to the valve as usual, all inverted etc, no problems there.

It takes gas fine, and holds it with no leaks, but loads of gas sprays out from around the fill valve during the filling process. I mean, it goes frickin' EVERYWHERE, including all over my hand...

Gas efficiency of this gun seems to be down on my others - partially due to the high-slow valve, I suspect (I'm getting about 20 shots per 'fill'), but the mag may not actually be filling up properly either.

So, anyone have any ideas how to stop this 'leakage' if you can call it that? I've tried the same gas can with a different magazine for a different gun, I've switched fill valves with another one from a USP Compact (the same valve), I've tried filling it with another can of gas (Abbey Ultra rather than HFC Green), and I've tried removing the valve and wrapping it in LOADS of PTFE tape to seal the outside, and I've not been able to solve/reproduce the problem.

Check to make sure the angle you're filling the mag at is actually perpendicular to the angle that the valve is at. I just got my KSC MK23, and it took a while of venting gas everywhere that the angle you think you'd fill at is not exactly the angle that works best. As such, rotate the can around, and see if you can get it to work.

Off the top of my mind, I think if the can is perfectly perpendicular to the base plate, not the actual mag, it works. Your mileage may vary.

Ah hah, holding it perpendicular to the baseplate seems to work!

I had a MASSIVE gas can blowout after filling that way, but little to no spraying from the valve/nozzle interface during filling.

So simple, yet so odd - thanks a bunch :D

Gas efficiency has gone WAY up now, and I'm getting well over a mag (28rds) of shots per fill.

Looks like that was the problem, then :)

In other words, the efficiency itself hasn't gone up, but the mag is actually filled properly now ;)

Archived