i just want to start by saying how hard it is to write a review on a DVD.I don't want to give away too much, or say too little.

The life story:

I first sawairsoft guide on the counter at Airsoft armouries cannock, on my last (well - only) trip there. Having just had my M16 upgraded i was a little short in the cash department and sadly left it sitting there. What i did notice though, a little shockingly, was a mate's face (Will) on the front of it........

Now it's not every day that you see someone you know on the front of a DVD, so i looked it up on t'interweb, and stumbled across airsoftguide.co.uk. From checking the website, i found that the second edition was in the making, and so saved myself for that.

The DVD:

Features - "Airsoft abuse" "What is airsoft?" gear data screens and of course the maintainence walk throughs. In version 2 the Mp 5K, G36c (TM and CA) , hi capacity magazines as well as many other techie stuff was covered.

So what first?

"What is airsoft?" seemed a good place to start, with both my parents being in the room, i figured it could work for me. Without giving too much away, this section went through the origins of airsoft, the types, reasons why airsoft is popular and the differences between airsoft and real steel. We should have sent it to Miss Blears as our case for exemption, it was that good!

Not only this, but the differences between airsoft and milsim were explained, with in game footage at a fast pace. It was during this, that i started to realise what a small world it really is. Will was the narrator, Yams, one of the AG05 marshals was in there too, the AA sales team were blatting away in game and i spotted a fair few arnies members. It was nice to see people i knew on TV for a change :) Nice to spot airsofters there old and young alike - really presenting the best part of airsoft. It did look like a little TOO much of a coincedence though :P I also enjoyed watching will dodge mortar fire...

Airsoft abuse - Airsoft abuse was basically one KWA G19, 2 nutters, a flash car and a tonne of pyros, which to me, made good viewing. You hear it all to often on the forums "G19 am bestest, it r undesructabl!" But this shows how much beating it can take. Even a shotgun from close range could not stop it firing.... Why did i sell mine?

Techie guides - these really were fantastic. I watched the one on hicap mags, which clearly described how to strip, assemble and clean hicaps to get the best out of them. I really feel with that DVD infront of them and the right tools, anyone could do that now. On the subject of tools, there was also a very useful feature on which tools to have for working on airsofts, which even covered lubricants and custom tools. To be honest i didnt watch the gun features, (mainly because i don't have a G36c) but i'll try to get version 1 of the DVD to watch the armalite ones. It would be good if they looked into the VSR range as well, due to their popularity.

As an aside from this, theres a feature on the top ten tips for fixing airsofts, which i could have really done with watching a while back. The best part of this was that they showed everything they spoke about. If a spring rips the gearbox apart, they show it :)

The gear guides were to me, a let down. I thought they would be another video feature, but instead they were data screens, just like reading a web page.

On the whole i'd say that it was worth the money. It's worth watching with other softing mates, but its not the kind of thing to watch with people not in the know. Also it would be very useful to watch that whilst carrying out maintainence/upgrades.

Although the non techie features seemed a little short, i thoroughly enjoyed it and await future volumes.

It's really worth checking out the website to see if it's for you or not:

www.airsoftguide.co.uk

• 1 year later...

actually, there is a gear guides video on there, where it says "play feature" on the gear menu.

great DVD, i own this and volume 3 and theyre excellent, Volume 1 coming soon into my possesion