New to upgrading

Pain_is_Red

After my first airsoft outting I noticed that just about everyone had the upper hand when it came to power and range. I'm looking to fix that.

I have a G&G UMG that I'm looking at trying to get to at least 328fps(+) but other than field stripping it (taking out the pin and folding the reciever out) that is about all I know about upgrading.

I was hoping that you guys could give me an idea of what I might need for this upgrade project (although I have some idea) as well as any advice for taking (and reassembling) the gearbox apart safely the first time.

Let me know if I'm on the right track here for parts...

1. M100 (M110?) spring

2. Metal bushings (?)

3. TM Hop-Up bucking (?)

4. 9.6v 1100mAh UMG battery (?)

I greatly appreciate any help you can give me,

thanks

Insted of the TM hop bucking get a systema hop bucking.

Also stay away from the M series spring, use the guarder SP90, SP100 or SP110 spring!

I had heard that the Systema bucking was too slick or something. Also, I mentioned the M100 spring just because of the data I found here.

I had heard that the Systema bucking was too slick or something. Also, I mentioned the M100 spring just because of the data I found here.

Use a Guarder spring. They produced the best results for me from any spring I used. That means they held their power the longest and stayed consistent in FPS (which is VERY important in airsoft).

There are other parts that can help you have better FPS and accuracy. For example a tighter bore barrel.

Also, if you're doing the upgrades yourself, try and find a friend that knows what he's doing. Ask if he'll watch you and/or show you how to do it all.

Use a Guarder spring.  They produced the best results for me from any spring I used.  That means they held their power the longest and stayed consistent in FPS (which is VERY important in airsoft)....

Also, if you're doing the upgrades yourself, try and find a friend that knows what he's doing.  Ask if he'll watch you and/or show you how to do it all.

What spring by Guarder would you recommend, I'm looking for 328-350 while still being able to use an 8.4v.

When it comes to finding a friend thats tough, all my airsoft buddies don't know the first thing about upgrading, hence this thread... I'm gonna end up teaching them :D

I don't know about the bushings in the UMG, but if you do have to change them, you will have the change the shims. They are small washers that align the gears. This has to be done very well before the gearbox can operate properly...i've found out the hard way. Anyways, when shimming, you want the gears to not rub againts the gearbox and be able to spin freely (should be able to go around a couple times by the flick of your finger w/ the gearbox together w/o the piston or anti-reversal latch in). You do this by not getting it too tight (they can't even move) and not too loose (the gears move up and down). They are more indepth shim guides...just google, but this will give you an idea.

I don't know about the bushings in the UMG, but if you do have to change them, you will have the change the shims.  They are small washers that align the gears.  This has to be done very well before the gearbox can operate properly...i've found out the hard way.  Anyways, when shimming, you want the gears to not rub againts the gearbox and be able to spin freely (should be able to go around a couple times by the flick of your finger w/ the gearbox together w/o the piston or anti-reversal latch in).  You do this by not getting it too tight (they can't even move) and not too loose (the gears move up and down).  They are more indepth shim guides...just google, but this will give you an idea.

Ok good to know. I was looking at this - click here - Is that a good enough guide or is there more to it than that?

One other thing of concern, and that is a new battery. Would the 9.6v 1100mAh UMG battery be too much power in this gun? I have heard that 9.6v batteries each stock parts rather fast.

Archived