Custom UMP.45 AEG conversion

matt bond

I was selling my Red Guns UMP.45 Training aid replica, but the sale fell through as people said it was not possible to convert it to an Airsoft gun...

Well as i had no need for a Solid plastic UMP.45 anyway i decided to go ahead with the conversion, mainly to sell on...

The Red guns UMP.45 is made from solid Urethane rubber, similar in hardness to plastic garden furniture, which is also urethane plastic/rubber.

It is solid throughout, and made to take some quite serious punishment as it is a training aid...

Obviously it had to be gutted to fit internals, hence i have removed the lower receiver from the UMP and using drills and chisels removed the insides...enough to fit the working parts.

The lower receiver is one left over from a previous UMP project I ran, and has been modified to work with the Red Guns UMP upper receiver.

Space inside is tight so there will have to be an external battery, either mounted in a fake laser unit, on the stock or on webbing connected by a cable, which will come out from behind the pistol grip.

It has an RIS rail moulded on the front and can fit other rails on the sides or Top, if you can source UMP real length rails.

The stock will not fold but is very accurate in shape, and the gun will come with the correct sling swivels, one near the lock mech for the folding stock, while the other is attached to the front of the RIS rail much like the sling point on the front of the G36C.

People may think that as ut was gutted the UMP, may not have the strength of an off the shelve gun, I believe that it is very strong. the Plastic does have a slight flex to it, but i have shot it at point blank range with a GBB Glock 18C on AE winter gas, and i mean point blank range, and the only signs of anything were a scratch in the paint, no dings or dents...

Will it be strong enough to skirmish with.... I think so, I can't see why it wouldn't as long you remember it's a custom piece and as with all custom pieces it needs slightly more respect / care than a normal off the shelve gun where spare parts can be sourced easily.

It will take any MP5 internals, which i do not have spare at the momment, but those from an MP5 A4 would be best due to the rear battery wiring. It takes a normal barrel and hop unit from an MP5 without any modification as the lower receiver is basically just a MP5 one in a plastic shell.

The lower receiver is attached with two screws and so it is very easy to disassemble to get to the gearbox, even more so than the original MP5 really.

Mag wise I will be making a custom UMP.45 mag for it, but it can take any MP5 mags (although they might look slightly odd) if needed in a fire fight, and the mag release works as normal.

I still have to do some work to finish it off, but i didn't want to paint it properly until i had photo'd it in it's current state as it shows that it is a red guns UMP underneath and how it was made.

Some sanding and painting needs to be done, then I will be offering it for sale on the forums or privately.

The buyer would need to supply MP5 internals though as i have none spare, then these would be fitted by me to make a fully working UMP.45 Submachine gun.

Personally I am VERY interested in this, if you do sell ot how much for and how long would I have to get the money together? assuming you finish it and decide to sell it that is.

Either way well done, that looks very nice even before it has been painted properly. To think I discovered this thread by accident....

• 2 years later...

Archived