Cheap Screws and why I hate them

Megalomaniac

In all this crazy heavy weather, the Pnuematic piston thingy that closes the door, ripped itself apart so i had to remove it (in the freezing cold).

So last night we went out and got a new one and I started fitting it, I go to mount the bracket to the wall. I set the bit into my electric screwdriver/drill and put the screw up to the hole. Whzzt Whrrrrr, the philips bit striped and completey wrecked the head of the first screw, so I try it again, again, and again. Now all four screw the stupid thing came with are striped. So I grab the nice steel ones that came with old one, goes in like a charm.

As a side note I am known for doing crazy things, like mounting an outlet into its box wit h an electric drill being powered from the very outlet that I'm putting it.

Anyone else have any other DIY horror stories.

Nope i think that last one takes the cake.

I hate how there making hardware cheaper today. It seams like you have to go to the specialty stores to get the right stuff. Cant get good quality stuff from home depot or lowes. My brother had to go to a specialty woodworkers shop to get a fence for his table saw that wouldnt fall apart in a month. and You have to buy snap-on or mac tools cuz apart from craftsman wrenches nothing else stands up to abuse. I mean you can keep buying cheapo tools after they break till your blue in the face but in the end you should have sprung for the snap-on kit sooner.

And so ends that rant.

Meh. From the title, thought this was about bad experiences in Amsterdam. Very disappointed. :(

lol sledge, and what kind of DIY jobby was that? care to elaborate? :P

DIY jobs that failed... erm... think mine's a lil too extreme to put here, might even be against the forum rules :P

mmmm pyros

*walks off*

eww... go get like a bulk batch from tescos or something :P

i know for a fact that most furniture or flat packed bits come with cheap screws... the power drills with screw fittings always seem to rip the screws apart unless you turn the torque all the way down to like 4 out of the 20million you can choose from on those new fancy ones. but then, you might as well use a normal screw driver... maybe it's designed to rip by the government to reduce DIY related injuries :P lol

did anyone hear about having a qualified electrician or something just to change a mains socket plug now? (read it on some paper at work, think this new rule applies today)

I never have any problems with screws messing up, you just need to push the drill in hard enough.

Screws are easier to replace than bits, hence why they mangle, in stead of the head of the screwdriver.

Qualified electrician? probably, but then ours are put in by a Chartered Electrical Engineer, ie my dad :D

lol me dad pwns the electronics here... he's qualified too... donnow exactly what it is but good enough i suppose.

i just dont wanna get a shock and fly back a few metres when i switch the light on or having the kettle blow up if i switch it on that's all

Archived