12v batteries in a CAm15a4 stock..

CLAYNBEN

Hey stupid question, but just wondering if anyone has had experience with this. Ive been looking at getting a 12v battery for my m15a4 but not sure which will fit. Ive seen a lot say they will fit an m16a2 or something of that nature but in my opinion this thing looks like itd be to big to fit in the stock. Anyone with any experience wana let me know if theyve had trouble. Thanks in advance..

it will wreck the gearbox for sure.

Care to cite your sources for that statement?

I've been running a stock CA36 gearbox on a 11.1v li-pol for a year now and the gearbox is fine.

If 12v NiMh won't fit, then I'd suggest going the li-pol route as you'll definitely be able to fit one in the stock of a M15 (you'll probably have to pad it out to stop it moving around!)

Hey thanks a lot Xaccers, for everyone else saying it will break a gearbox, im sure it might eventually but i recently aquired the systema magnum complete gear box and it requires a 12v battery for it to be used. Anyone with any experience that can provide anymore help on what 12v battery is best to use would be great. Thanks in advance guys..

Not sure if you will get a standard 12v battery in, but you should fit in a NiMh sub c cell one in.

I got round the problem by running a remote lead, a bit like the battery sling, but powered one of my M15's off a 12v motorbike battery. It went like a train and lasted all day. It didn't have a milliamp rating, it was 4 amps.

I put 250,000 rounds through that particular M15 before I stripped the gearbox down and then all it needed was a clean and new bushes, so contary to popular belief they will handel it.

A 4/5 sub-c 12 volt pack such as the ones below are about the same size as regular sub-C 9.6volt packs, and will fit without modification. You will get more milliamperage per cubic inch if you go down Xaccers route of Li-pol, and the ROF will be very similar on an 11.1volt Li-pol as it will on a 12volt NiCad and/or NiMH of the size in question.

12volt 1700mah NiCad

12volt 2200mah NiMH

I would highly recommend removing the 2nd and 3rd tooth from your piston (that's the two after the first big pickup tooth), or at least the just the second; this will ensure there is no premature engagement between the sector gear and the piston, it will not decrease the power of your AEG it will simply reduce the chance of your piston stripping - by about 10 fold.

Ice

I have seen 2 CA gearboxes get really worn teeth and loose bushings from prolonged use with 12v battery packs, albeit both Earlier Armalite models. Not sure if this is a result of the 'old' CA gremlins or the battery, but I thought is was a bad idea to go above 10.8v in this type of gun anyway. (at least thats what me manual says).

These guns had an insane rate of fire, they just didnt last that long.

Im a die hard CA fan, and the newer stuff sems much better built and may even take 12v. Its just not for me, thats all.

Respectfully submitted.

Funny you should mention them being old models.

A friend of mine brought round an old M15 which he said had a strange twang after every shot.

Stripped it down and found that the axle on both sides of the spur gear had sheered off!

He'd only been running it on 8.4v though.

Archived