Which widebore barrel to get?

Vortix

• 3 weeks later...

So today the good man from the Post Office saw fit to deliver the Orga Magnus 400mm 6,23 barrel and Pro-Win M4 hop unit. Seeing as this is my day off I began assembly immediately! I combined the barrel and hop unit with a Prommy straight bucking and Firefly Namazu hop tensioner nub thingy.

Initial tests (at a mere ten yards with 0,20 bb's...) were as follows:

1) Immediate results fairly normal (hop needing to wear in, unit spring not strong enough to seal properly);

2) Hop unit spring switched for stronger one, second grouping already better;

3) Applied more hop, grouping even tighter

4) Put some isolation tape to fix inner barrel; better still. 

Mind you, these tests were at a mere ten yards as I don't have more space in my living room and I don't have a garden... I am going to a game on sunday, hopefully it's not too windy so I can test properly. See image below for grouping results. 

post-97105-0-53256900-1418905156_thumb.jpg

Soooo... Sunday game day. Unfortunately the wind prohibited proper testing just a teensy bit. My bb's were flying left and right (depending on the wind... just a little bit too much to make a guestimation as to the long range accuracy of my current build but I definitely had the feeling that I was making hits much farther out than I ever had before. 

So that is is a good thing I guess. Next month we'll probably go to an indoor field so I will be able to eliminate as many factors as possible. And if I shoot from one corner of the field to the other I can also test for range...

So, stay tuned.

I for one am not completely comfortable filing or dremeling even very small pieces off of something expensive so won't go for that option. Thanks for the input :)

This might be a bit late, but in my experience even the wider Orga barrel windows need some trimming to properly accept a Firefly buffer rubber, with room around the nub for the bucking rubber to press into the lumen.  It's not terribly difficult; I got a cheap set of diamond file Dremel bits that make cleaning up the cuts a lot easier.  

I like the ProWin chambers, but with a clear plastic hopup unit and a clear shaved bucking can see exactly how well a "flat hop" setup is working.  I'd wager that the vast majority are crooked.  

Vortix, I noticed for the test you were using .20g, were you using the same weight during your game day?

Nope, .25s during game day.

Might go even higher once I run out of these. 

I noticed that the hop window was slightly too small to properly accept the Firefly nub as well. Trimmed some rubber off, hopefully in such a way that it won't negatively affect performance on the long range. Otherwise I'll test some other rubbers and/or trimming the chamber and barrel windows...

Archived