New TRMR X4 Grenade

westywesty84

• 2 weeks later...

I think I've played at the Mall maybe ~8 times now.  Out of those 8, bits of it have been set on fire twice.  25% isn't a great stat in that regard.

I think a lot of its' down to their use of hessian screening (which is obviously just ideal tinder) but it's an indication of how flammable the dust, debris and detritus in old buildings can be.  Don't reckon these magnesium cartridges will be allowed in many places.  Though on the other hand a lot of CQB sites are all rock/concrete and absolutely saturated with damp, so they might be alright.

haha crikey .. you've had some bad luck then ... I actually can't remember if this has ever happened while I've been there.

Do you have a pyromaniac that follows you every where, is his name Mike ... tell Mike to *fruitcage* off and stop setting *suitcase* on fire when you're airsofting.

Just a quick update. Ckinnerley contacted JD Airsoft for me and got confirmation from them that these are permitted by the U.S. DOJ/ATF. They sent him a letter from the ATF stating that that these are not by their standards considered "destructive devices" and are legal to import into the USA. I have just ordered from JD Airsoft directly a few of the multi-shot TRMRs. I'll let you all know if I experience any difficulties. Huge thanks to Chris for inquiring for me.

It need not be said, but given that this formal ok has been given by the ATF, it's in people's best interests not not make further inquiries on the TRMR matter unless rejection by customs actually occur. ATF has a history of changing their minds when asked repeatedly on a matter they've already given approval for. Let's not poke the ATF bear. ;)

Here's a copy and paste of said ATF letter:

U.S. Department of Justice

Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives

Dated May 26, 2015

903070:SCS

15-0159 555.11; 23; 141

Ms. Suzy Kim

iShot, Inc.

16135 Kennedy Street Woodbridge, Virginia 22191

Dear Ms. Kim:

This is in response to your e-mail dated February 18, 2015, to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF). You asked if your TRMR diversionary device is a regulated explosive destructive device.

According to your e-mail, iShot designed the TRMR to simulate, in training environments only, the use of flash-bang devices. It is a reusable training aid that uses specially-designed blank shells (regular 12-gauge shotgun shells will not fit or fire in the device). You are considering using the FB-82H or FBG-MkII cartridges produced by Royal Arms International in Oxnard, California. The cartridges resemble shortened shotgun shells and function the same. They contain smokeless powder (nitrocellulose and nitroglycerin) as the propellant and a 209 shotgun primer (Lead Styphnate 34%, Tetrazene 3%, Barium Nitrate 41%, Antimony Sulfide 16%, Aluminum 6%) to initiate. The cartridges contain no flash powder. The Material Safety Data Sheet lists the cartridges as Cartridges for Weapons, Inert Projectile (12 Gauge), UN 0012 or UN 0339, hazard class 1.4S or 1.4C.

As you may know, pursuant to 27 CFR 555.23, ATF maintains a list of explosives determined to be subject to regulation. While the list is comprehensive, it is not all-inclusive. The regulation at 27 CFR 555.11 defines explosives as any chemical compound, mixture, or device, the primary or common purpose of which is to function by explosion. The term includes, but is not limited to, dynamite and other high explosives, black powder, pellet powder, initiating explosives, detonators, safety fuses, squibs, detonating cord, igniter cord, and igniters. Additionally, 27 CFR 555.141(a)(4) exempts small arms ammunition and components of small arms ammunition. Finally, 27 CFR 555.11 defines ammunition, in part, as small arms ammunition or cartridge cases, primers, bullets, or smokeless propellants designed for use in small arms.

After careful consideration, ATF has determined that the TRMR diversionary device training aid is not a destructive device. However if the article is altered or redesigned, ATF may determine that it is a destructive device and subject to the regulations under 27 CFR, Parts 478 and 479.

Further, the FB-82H or FBG-MkII cartridges are regulated explosives due to the smokeless powder propellant and the primer. The cartridges do not fall under the exemption at 27 CFR 555.141(a)(4) as they do not meet the regulatory definition of ammunition. The cartridges were not designed to be used in small arms and are subject to all the regulations under 27 CFR,

Part 555.

We trust that the foregoing has been responsive to your request. Please feel free to contact the Explosives Industry Programs Branch at 202-648-7120 if you have any additional questions.

Sincerely yours,

William E Frye, Jr.

Chief, Explosives Industry Programs Branch

It's also worth noting: within an hour of ordering I already had a live UPS tracking number, and the package is already stateside with an expected delivery date on Monday! I'm *really* impressed so far. This is very quick. Far more so than buying within the U.S. in many cases.

Quick update: TRMRs ordered from JD Airsoft on Thursday. Shipped same day and arrived in the U.S. the next day, travelled from coast to coast and was received earlier today (Monday ... 4.5 days after placing the order). I'm extremely impressed. Most U.S. vendors wouldn't have shipped any package to me even that fast. I was curious how it was to be documented but there wasn't a custom form included. I assume that documentation was retrieved by either UPS or US Customs prior to final arrival.

I did get a little sticker shock when ordering the TRMRs ... I hadn't realized you guys pay so much VAT ????. But I will say these arrived well protected, and the individual screw tube packaging was most excellent. More than anything, the machining quality of these products are extremely impressive. Clean CNC, nicely debuted and well finished. These things are extremely solid with quite decent heft. Gonna test these out tomorrow. But so far I'm very happy with them and it's money well spent.

And for my fellow US members, you should be good to go to order direct from JD Airsoft.

• 1 month later...

USCM...

Did you have any updates.  I'm contemplating adding a grenade to my collection.  Just not sure which one.?

Tornado

VTG

BFGX

No idea which one.  

I play mostly outside so I am a bit hesitant on getting an "impact" type.  Think I may be better served by a timer one?

Archived