Sniping questions

nlcarlisle

Hi, i am new to the sniping aspect of airsoft. After a lot of research I am still confused on the advantages and disadvantages of fixed hop-up units as opposed to adjustable. I've narrowed my rifle selection down to a M40XB, however it comes with both an adjustable hop up or a fixed hop-up.

My concern is: does having an adjustable hop-up take away from the consistency that a fixed hop-up would provide?

I understand that the adjustable hop-up would allow compensation for different weight BB's, but in the fixed hop-up a different size O-ring would accomplish the same thing...

If anyone has any info or suggestions on the area please enlighten me!!

or feel free to point out that I am wrong in my research...

thanks for your time

nick

While I don't have that much experience with airsoft sniper rifles. The only thing I can recommend would be to check out the forums at www.airsoftplayers.com considering the fact that this is a UK based forum and the maximum FPS allowed in the UK is 328fps. You might have better luck looking around airsoftplayers for the information you need

I have a VSR-10 G-SPEC firing at 328fps and i rarely adjust my hop up unless im forced to use a differant weight bb to what usually do. But i do think that having adjustable hop would be better as you have a choice of being able to adjust or just keep it at one setting and leave it.

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings everyone.

Pray forgive but it appears that I have to reply rather untimely to this post. Better late than never, I suppose.

nlcarlisle, I do own a Sun Project M40 XB and it is a work in progress as one can find in my info. It is a wonderful replica as it is full wood/metal and a fine sniper even in its stock form. It would help if you told us whether you intend to use yours within UK limits, use it stock or if you are willing to upgrade it.

Regardless, the stock hopup in the non-adjustable version is next to non-existent. It consists of a rubber o-ring protruding in the barrel from a small hole on the top of it. Quite crude and not efficient. I would definitely suggest that you buy the adjustable hopup version as it hints that there is actually a real hop unit there. This will increase your range, no doubt. From then on, it's really up to you to upgrade it or not. Just get a scope ;)

Archived