[PICS]Battery overheating.

ChrisJSY

I just got my G&P M4 SO on wednesday and I have only had a go with it for 2 full charges.

Last night, I saw smoke come from inside the butt-stock, ach no!!!

gpbatt1.JPG

gpbatt2.JPG

As you can see, it's become so hot there, it's melted away the plastic and it only takes 3 shots to do this.

I assume the charger i am using is on the correct setting?

charger11.jpg

When I charge it, it says one button press for slow charge, and even when I do that it will automatically after a while go to fast on it's own.

And it does a full charge in only 2-3 hours? that's quite fast..

Is it safe to use? is there anything I can do?

It takes 2 weeks to gets these down from Hong Kong, trying to source them else where..

;(

Thanks for any help.

Charging a battery in 2-3 hours on fast charge is fairly normal for a smart charger like that. As for your battery, were you shooting very long bursts or did you shoot off very many rounds in little time? This could have caused the battery and wiring to overheat.

If you weren't doing that, it's also possible that you have a short in your wiring. Take a good look at your wiring and make sure that none of it is damaged, and all of the insulation is still in place.

As you can see, it's become so hot there, it's melted away the plastic and it only takes 3 shots to do this.

As for your battery, were you shooting very long bursts or did you shoot off very many rounds in little time?

;)

As for your question, no, that's not the right charger. It says "for 4-8 Cells". You have 9. Whether or not that's the reason this is happening, IDK.

I have melted the plastic on my batteries. It happens at the contacts, because there is more resistance, and more heat. I put electrical tape over it, and it's fine.

BUT, with mine, I was using it in an R/C car, which usually heats up batteries alot. The fact that it happened to you in an airsoft gun is bad. Especially after only 3 shots.

I'm sorry I can't tell you what's wrong, or how to fix it, but I hope I helped.

the plastic is melting because there probably is "contact resistance" between the batteries (i assume this because the plastic is damaged where 2 batteries meet)

p(dissipated heat) = R (resistance) x I² (current²)

if you want to solve the problem i suggest you:

1) try drawing less current (not always possible in an AEG)

2) lower the resistance by:

-improving the connection

-enlarging the contact surface

-wiping alway all the corrosion(if there is any)

The point where it has melted is right where the wire and cell end tab are soldered together. My bet is, is that you have a bad/dry joint and, as mentioned, is causing high resistance and burning out.

Strip the plastic back and take a look, clean it up and re-solder the wire to the tab. Also check to make sure it hasn't burnt through the cell insulation otherwise you could get a short there as well.

This is a wire problem, not a cell problem, so your pack should be fine.

Thank you for your inputs people.

Tommygunn, I will try that tomorrow, i'll pop into work and try resolder it.

gpbatt3.JPG

Anything look wrong? Other than melted plastic.

I have stripped the gun, I have checked all the cables, resoldered the connections.

I ran the motor right off the battery and it does not over heat.

It's once the teeth lock into the gears and move the spring back and fire, I get the bright orange glow after a 2.5/3 sec full auto.

It seems pretty fine for semi and small bursts, I just got this gun, I've been waiting over a month, and my first game is tomorrow :(

I'm going to get another battery to make sure (Process of elimination), I like learning these things by getting my hands dirty just like I did years ago with computers ;)

If it isn't that, must be something wrong near the motor or trigger?

Other than that, i hope it's okay to have a small skirmish in semi?

Some guys at the club should know more than me I think.

If your cables are heating up as well as your battery it would point to your gun drawing to much current, thus melting the weakest point in the chain. If this is the case it would be worth checking the motor extensive contract were, another sign of over current.

However if the cables are not heating up then its probably a poor joint on your battery, or maybe a damaged cell. Trying another battery is the easyest way to solve this, or if you want to fix the old battery you would have to re-weld the connection, and/or replace the damaged cell.

Hope that helps mate.

As above. Yep, make sure that it is that specific area that is getting hot, which it appears to be from the damage.

Did you also apply solder to bond the tab to the cell instead of just relying on the factory spot welds as these may be bad.

Can you do us a picture as it looks re-soldered and stripped clean?

Archived