IDF Oketz unit theme

boris the pict

OK so I've always been a dog person, to the extent that had life been different i would be a dog handler in the forces. So anyway i read about Oketz somewhere and found that apparently the dogs also have cameras, speakers and a mic on their 'webbing' so their handler can 'see' and 'hear' what the dog sees and given commands over the radio, as well as potentially talk with suspects via the dog.

This whole concept is i think absolutely ace, and the fact that the dogs all have their parachute qualifications (parachuting dogs!), and have a whole set of awards, medals and so on to be simply surreal.

So i now own an obsolete beret and insignia of the Oketz unit (i respect all units far to much to use their current insignia, as i haven't earned them) so now i find myself at a cross roads, do i produce in addition to my 'winter' DPM load out a 'summer' Oketz loadout in homage to the simply bizarre 'cuting dog handlers?

Their kit is really hard to pin down as they only came into the light in 1974 but assuming similarities across the IDF a 6 day war era and possibly a 1973 war era load out would be OD BDU's and a mix of '58 webbing and some ALICE kit.

So any comments, suggestions or er thoughts?

cheers Boris

Do you have the dog? lol

But parachuting dogs isn't that excentric, the 17RGP (Regiment de Genie Parachutiste - Para Engineers Regiment) also jumps with their dogs. I've been told that the dogs love that!

Other than that, go for it! It's original. historical and sounds good. Moreover, the items you listed aren't very hard to find. A really nice idea IMO!

Archived