KWA M11 hop-up

doc_newstead

Having me a little skirmish today with my M11. Lots of fun, obviously, but after about 2 1/2 hours, my gun started jamming. What would happen was, the BB would be knocked into the hop-up, then stay there. I lubed it, then I thought it was due to no gas in the mag, but the problem persisted. I called it a day, and when I stripped the gun down, I noticed that the hop-up rubber was sticking out much more than normal. It seems to have worked it's way partially out of the barrel assembly, so that it's no longer flush. I'm going to strip the gun down later and pop it back in, but the edges of the rubber are pretty beat up where the bolt has been smacking into it.

1) Is this normal?

2) Shall I just pop it back in, or buy a new one?

3) Any idea what caused it?

Like I say, I'll take the hop-up apart and put it back in flush, but I'm unsure why it has worked loose like this. Should I buy a spare just in case?

1) NO it's not normal

2) BUY a new one (ZeroOne do replacement rubber parts)

3) Has to be the gas you used, what gas did you use?

I tell you my story: I use cybergun Winter gas in my Mac11 (KSC if it makes a difference) I also use green gas. Both these gases are BAD for the rubber part ontop of the mag. I don't know why, it causes the rubber to expand and crack, then eventually it'll just go into jelly and jump into the firing mechanism jamming the whole thing to a stop.

People have used Abbey Ultra and had no problems, and I'm sure a134 is okay too. But DON'T use Cybergun/American Eagle gases, or green gas.

By the way, it's happened to THREE of my mags, so I would know what's going on, also Space_Cowboy can vouch for me :)

K, last one really (though PM-ing TaQ would probably be better :P)

I've removed the Hop Up rubber and mag seal rubber. Got a cold atm, but as soon as I feel better I'll give 01 a ring.

Question:

When I took the Hop Up rubber out, a tiny little BB (a proper ball-bearing that is) came out with it. It looks like this goes into a recess in the rubber. Can I be trusted to install the new Hop Up? Or do you think it would be best to get a supplier to do it? It's just it's an awfully small bearing, and I don't want to put it in the wrong way and fire the thing halfway across the garden, never to be seen again...

Don't worry, I studied the manual very carefully before taking mine apart, I knew there was a silver ball bearing coming out so I worked on my bed (sheets were bright so you can spot anything)

It's quite simple to replace to be honest, just remember when you install the hop up back, the bb must be recessed in the ditch in the rubber, make sure the hope is set on straight too by looking down the barrel.

Can't be of anymore help as I'm relying on vague memories, if you're in doubt or inconfident, I'd send it to ZeroOne. :)

I've taken the hop up out; that's definitely screwed. It was cracked and pretty damaged, and to be safe, I'm going to replace the mag seal too. 01 reckoned about a tenner for the pair, and I either repair it or have an expensive ornament, so I'll get the parts from them later on.

As an aside to TaQ; my uncle was saying that when he services LPG boilers (propane is an LPG of course), the rubber tubing used on a U gauge cracks and eventually starts falling apart. (Ozone corrodes rubber too btw...)

PS: If Cpt_Nemo is reading this, don't blame yourself. TaQ did say, quite clearly, in an another thread I started NOT to use AE Winter Gas. But I was silly and forgot. I'm putting it down to experience, and at least I didn't have to buy a new bolt or upper receiver :)

Same here, I'm quite suprised the upper receiver bolt section didn't snap in half when I was using green gas. The bolt I didn't expect to blow up cause it's metal to begin with (not magnesium, pot metal)

Apparently the rubber seal on the mag is hard to install, as there's only one way in and one way out, you don't want to be cutting the rubber when you're shoving it in the hole lol!

Well i still feel quite bad for bringing out the old line of "i'm sure it will work fine in your brand spanking new gun"

A bit odd how my m93R has survived so long using winter gas. I mean the seal and hop up look quite similar. But then again i have upgraded it to be full metal which may of made a difference.

Soz Doc, but at least that canister 134a Gas i gave you sort of balances it all out.... er maybe.... :blink:

Cpt (I'll respect your privacy here ;)), you are very right. You gave me that whole can of 134a for nowt, and I was using YOUR Winter Gas too! But my gratitude aside, like I said, I'm not blaming you. Having started a thread before getting the M11 about what gas to use, and TaQ saying 'Don't use Winter Gas. Ever", no-one to blame but myself, right? :)

Still, i think the conversation went along the lines of

"here DOC, use my winter gas, should work better with it"

"are you sure it wont damage it?"

"Yeh sure, its not a hi power gas, it'll be fine, trust me" (Mwhahahahah)

"ok then, i'll give it ago"

owning a nicely upgraded metal mac, I reckon the higher power gasses are fine, once you have the replacement metal bolt and frame installed. You also need a small rubber buffer plate behind the bolt to reduce bolt travel and increase rof. this safeguards your bolt and the housing from damage.

I always always use AE in my mac, and it loves it. I do just have to take it as red that the rubber bits need replacing once in a while though.. technically I treat them a bit like the consumables, gas, bbs and rubbers... Ahem.

I didn't start this thread as a 'Winter gas killed my gun thread'. It started because my gun was leaking gas and the hop up was starting to crack, jamming the gun severely. For whatever reason they're shagged, they're shagged, so I need to get replacements. Just so happened I used Winter Gas for the first time that particular day. So you can all say 'I use Winter Gas fine' if you want, but that's not what the thread was about. I know 80 years old that smoke a pack a day, but I don't go round recommending to everybody.

Archived