The PM system and editing in general

This is something i've thought for a while but never really had a real NEED to use it on arnies till now. I think it would be a great help if we could edit PMs we've sent that haven't been read... like in an outbox where you can delete/change the PM before the intended party recieves it.

For instance i'm involved in a trade with a person who seems to not answer his pms for a week at a time (quite annoying) and i'm on my 3rd pm to him (telling him the deals off since i found the item local). I'm sure he'd rather not get 3 pms but since the ability to edit pms is non-existent....

Same for editing posts.... why can't we edit them after we post them. Would be a great help in the for sale forums, but i'm sure this has been asked before.

You are correct in that it has been asked before, but to save you having to search, ou can edit posts. However for regular members there is a time limit involved. This is to avoid confusing (and potentially illegal entries in the case of sales threads, where a user sells something as being in x 'condition', and then later changes the description once payment has been received).

In relation to your former point of editing unreceived pms, I would have to defer to Arnie as I lack understanding of how the PM system stores messages. As I understand it however, the message transfer is instantaneous. I imagine that to want to edit the sent message would require the server to automatically retrive the message from another account so that you may edit, then return it once you're finished. If this is the case I very much doubt it is practical and viable.

Thirdly, as with any such suggestion, there is the issue of admin time. Arnie is a very busy chap and I very much doubt realistically that there would be time for him to recode the forum software for such a negligible (if any) benefit. The only way this would happen would be if such a modification / software upgrade is readily available. :)

i know you can delete them (albeit i forgot :P) but editing is so much more practical. Maybe its a software limitation with IPB, i know in BB2 its standard... i wasn't sure if it was also standard in IPB or if it was turned off for a specific reason. (I did do a quick search just skimming through some pages but didn't see it)

As for editing posts, that reason had crossed my mind but thanks for the clarification. Maybe its more of a problem since arnies has a broader and more spread out member list but sellers changing descriptions after recieving money isn't a problem on other sites. My thinking is airsoft is a game based on honor with calling your hits... why shouldn't we trust the members online as well. I know when i paypal money to people i use my Amex as a funding source all the time so that if what i recieve isn't what i bought due to misrepresentation and the seller won't right the wrong i can call their fraud dept and they refund the money (only had to do that once and it was on ebay with a fake miniSD card).

Anyway just a thought, thank you for the quick clarification Marlow.

Edited by Rcas